Columnist Mixes Politics and Promotions at Book Signing

Columnist PAUL KRUGMAN promotes his new book and converses with fans at a book signing Friday hosted by the Harvard bookstore.
By Dan E. Miranda, Contributing Writer

Inside a packed First Parish Church on Friday night, New York Times columnist Paul Krugman expressed his concern that the Bush Administration has misled the American public and has used its influence to intimidate journalists from critically examining the office of the president.

At the promotional signing of his new book The Great Unraveling: Losing Our Way in the New Century, hosted by the Harvard Bookstore, Krugman addressed political issues and questions from both the audience and National Public Radio’s Christopher Lydon, who is also a fellow in Internet and society at the Law School.

“The policy proposals were just plain dishonest, just flat-out misrepresentation, and the truth wasn’t getting out,” said Krugman. “I’m trying to wake people up, to get them to understand how badly we’ve gone off course,” he wrote in an e-mail after the event.

Inside the hot, stuffy space, Krugman found a very receptive audience.

Holding Howard Dean signs and hardbound copies of Krugman’s books, fans scrambled for seats, trying to squeeze between the crowded aisles. Many stood in the back of the room fanning themselves with sheets of paper. When a woman finally announced from the podium, “We’ll be starting in five minutes,” the audience cheered ecstatically.

Outside First Parish Church, a number of people waited in line for the moment to listen to the columnist, Princeton professor and liberal economist.

“Many have seen him as a voice of reason in a political world that not many can understand,” said 25-year old Amanda Darling, the marketing manager for The Harvard Bookstore.

“This event is a great way for a community coming together to learn about the issues that are disturbing them and have a voice in them,” she added.

In his discussion with Lydon and the audience, Krugman argued that through misrepresentation in its policy proposals, the Bush Administration has spurred the country into economic, political and military turmoil.

He pointed specifically to the current military action against Iraq and said that profit-driven decisions had led to a “mess” in the post-war conflict.

Krugman also said that many journalists are unwilling to touch certain issues due to the notion of “reverence with the office of the president.”

Krugman spoke out on several other key issues such as the USA Patriot Act, taxation and the anti-globalization movement.

Even those who had to stand outside for most of Krugman’s speech stuck around to meet the man who has been declared “the most dangerous liberal in the country” by the National Review Online.

Harvard Law student David Loss, who was not let in until the end of the question-and-answer session, said he came to see Krugman and have a “chat with him for a little bit.”

“I like reading Mr. Krugman’s columns and found them very insightful. I was curious on what he had to say,” he said.

“He speaks very intelligently in ways few people have the ability to express ideas,” Loss added.

With Krugman’s book in hand and eagerly waiting for him to speak, 32-year-old Brookline resident Kevin Foley said, “I’m surprised that this is people’s idea of a good time on a Friday night.”

“The power of good marketing I suppose,” he added. “I’m sure willing to wait in line to get my copy signed.”

While some turned out simply for the booksigning, others were attracted by his message.

“I find it encouraging that someone of his intellect has such a following,” said Donna Neff, 59, of Marblehead, Mass. “It’s a very impressive turn out of all ages. For those who have been activists for decades it is very encouraging to see the younger generation follow through.”

“It’s really good for someone to speak out against power for a change,” Neff stressed.

When asked how he felt about the turnout of his book signing, Krugman said, “It was a great turnout—very heartening.”

“It was definitely an affirmation. This is a pretty lonely work, most of the time,” he added. “I think a lot of my readers feel the same way. They need someone to affirm to them that they aren’t crazy. The event reminds everyone of reality, and gives some hope. Of course it also sells some books, which is part of the effort because a slot on the best seller list is a sort of affirmation too.”