Eagles Fly Over W. Volleyball

Harvard returned home from its winless California trip looking for revenge—or, at least, a victory.

Boston College had other ideas.

After losing three starters to injury, Harvard introduced some new faces into its lineup, including freshman setter Sarah Cebron and sophomore outside hitter Julie Marvin. The infusion of young blood was not enough to keep the Crimson (1-6) from meeting defeat for the fourth consecutive time.

“I was definitely ready to contribute,” Marvin said. “Anyone can be happy with their play, but it doesn’t really matter unless the whole team is meshing together.”

Despite a frantic Crimson rally in the fourth game, the Eagles emerged victorious three games to one (30-28, 28-30, 30-22, 30-27).

“We turned it on right at the end,” said captain Mariah Pospisil. “It was good because it showed we were never going to give up, and I’m really proud of our team. It was just too late.”

Boston College (B.C.) seized the momentum early in game four, riding the strong play of freshman middle hitter Shardai Davis to a 27-16 lead.

Three points from defeat, Harvard responded in dramatic fashion, taking 11 of the next 12 points to close the gap to one. However, the Eagles took the last two points and ended the match with a 30-27 victory.

At the outset of the first game the Crimson appeared a little confused, letting serves drop in for aces, misplaying passes, and scrambling desperately all over the court.

“We’re sort of having trouble starting off strong this season,” said Pospisil. “We’re playing like a comeback team. It felt like we started playing when we were already down ten.”

However, after falling behind 11-4, Harvard seemed to regain its composure, capitalizing on two kills each by junior outside hitter Nathalie Miller and Pospisil to pull to within one. The Eagles responded, taking advantage of two Crimson miscues on kill attempts to move back ahead by five, 19-14.

But the pesky Crimson would not be denied.

Harvard took its first lead of the match at 24-23 when Pospisil registered an earth-shaking block. Unfortunately, B.C. freshman Alison Shepp came through with three huge serves to snatch the lead and the game from Harvard, as the Eagles won 30-27.

The early game funk that plagued Harvard in game one continued in game two, as the Crimson dropped the first four points.

Harvard came to life much quicker in this frame, clawing back to take an early 9-8 lead. Junior outside hitter Nilly Schweitzer won four service points during a mid-game run that saw the Crimson expand its lead to three, 17-14.

Harvard extended its lead to 29-25, only one point away from taking the game. The Eagles answered with three straight points, but a jump serve from B.C. junior outside hitter Liz Aron sailed long, giving Harvard the 30-28 win.

Harvard and B.C. see-sawed back-and-forth in the early portions of the third game. The Eagles broke away temporarily with eight straight points, but the Crimson answered with a five point run of its own.

Davis came through in a big way for B.C. with four kills and a block in a span of seven points, allowing the Eagles to pull away down the stretch, taking the frame, 30-22.

Notes

Junior middle hitter Kaego Ogebechie will start in Friday’s Ivy League opener against Dartmouth at 7 pm in the Malkin Athletic Center. She has missed the first seven games this season with a patella tendon tear.

Women's Volleyball