Toasting To a Safer Harvard

The Alcohol Committee's report is an encouraging sign of progress

By The Crimson Staff

With the number of admits to University Health Services (UHS) for alcohol poisoning rising steadily—18 cases in the 1997-1998 school year as compared to 147 in 2003-2004—concerns about student health and safety at Harvard have been justifiably intensifying of late. Last year, the Committee to Address Alcohol and Health at Harvard was charged with the task of determining the best course of action given the perceived problem. Their recently unveiled report is a reassuring signal that the University is on the right track.

In October 2003, when Dean of the College Benedict H. Gross ’71 established the committee, he promised a somewhat novel approach to the issue. Instead of limiting the committee’s focus to restrictive disciplinary measures—as is the tactic at so many other universities—Gross directed the committee to examining the underlying social problems associated with alcohol abuse on campus. University Provost Steven E. Hyman echoed this sentiment, stressing the need for new approaches to both treatment and education—an area that for years has been relatively untouched by College policy in deference to strict Massachusetts no-tolerance laws.

Last week’s report suggests that the College is moving in the right direction as education proposals—which will be by far the most effective means of curbing dangerous binge drinking—dominated the committee’s findings. In addition, the report acknowledged the particular importance of strategies aimed at first-year students—who comprise the majority of UHS cases. For many such students, college means access to alcohol for the very first time in their lives. Adding alcohol education to the Freshman Week circuit of safety discussions is a long-overdue first step, but in the case of overeager first-years, it is hardly enough. First-year social events ought to be organized with an eye toward providing alternatives to the late-night party scene, especially during the week prior to the shopping period. Crimson Key events which run until 10 p.m. leave four hours for packs of first-years to scour the campus looking for alcohol—even more if they frequent those venues which are not forced to abide by the College’s 2 a.m. party hours.

Of course, no one will argue that these sorts of isolated changes themselves will single-handedly diminish future cases of alcohol abuse. In fact, perhaps the most commendable aspect of the report is its realistic approach to analyzing the breadth of issues involved in these sorts of problems. That openness allows for the kind of multi-layered discussion necessary for tackling alcohol abuse. Nowhere is this approach more obvious than in the recommendation that Harvard take some initiative in establishing a “working relationship” with the final clubs, fraternities, sororities and other non-recognized social organizations in the Harvard community. By abandoning the long-standing University policy of turning a blind eye to these groups, which are after all the source of a significant portion of social drinking at Harvard, the committee has further confirmed its commitment to effective and practical reform. The interests of health and safety override all other petty concerns.

Indeed, this recommendation is only one of the comprehensive improvements suggested to promote a campus environment that is more knowledgeable about not only the risks associated with alcohol abuse, but also the treatment methods. In addition to increased outreach, the report also emphasizes the importance of the College’s policy that seeking medical help ought to be free from the threat of disciplinary action. But while influencing individual students may be the final goal, the committee rightly recognizes that preventing severe cases of alcohol abuse requires engaging the entire community. By calling for greater administrative familiarity with the issues surrounding alcohol abuse, ongoing research by UHS staff into successful measures at other schools, and a redefinition of tutor and proctor roles to provide a dual emphasis on academics and counseling, the committee has done a fine job establishing a broad framework within which students can receive the support they need.

However, for this community-wide approach to be successful, it is essential that the committee’s proposed alcohol administrator be more than just a public relations figurehead. Such an administrator would have the unenviable task of implementing the varied proposals outlined in the report and establishing a proper relationship with the many existing health and safety services at Harvard including University Counseling, Academic Support, and Mental Health Services—not to mention Harvard University Police Department, UHS, the Bureau of Study Counsel and the various student groups which provide support for issues of alcohol abuse. These recommendations are of the greatest importance to student health and safety on campus; the College should make their implementation a top priority.