Fans Descend on Charles for Regatta

Attendance levels at the 40th annual Head of the Charles Regatta over the weekend dropped from past years, but organizers still declared the event a “smashing success.” Crew enthusiasts flocked to Weeks Footbridge for the best views.
By Javier C. Hernandez, Contributing Writer

The World Series wasn’t the only sporting event to draw crowds to Boston this weekend.

More than 200,000 rowing enthusiasts, spectators and competitors flocked to the banks of the Charles River for the 40th annual Head of the Charles Regatta on Saturday and Sunday.

Though attendance this year was high, the numbers did not come close to the 300,000 mark, as they have in the past.

Executive Director of the Regatta Frederick V. Schoch attributed the lower turnout to the cold October weather, but said the regatta was still “a smashing success.”

The weather didn’t just deter visitors. The 40-degree temperatures, paired with blustery winds, forced coordinators to plan the races on a shorter “emergency” course for the 24 events on the river this weekend.

Despite the grim conditions, nearly 1,500 boats and 7,000 rowers zipped down the 2.3-mile stretch of the Charles through Boston and Cambridge to the cheers of fans.

The race is normally three miles long.

Harvard’s best showing at the races was a second-place finish at the men’s championship fours.

For Harvard, the regatta meant more tourists, tighter security and a restriction on House parties. But students didn’t seem upset with the additional precautions.

“I appreciate it,” said Kerian E. Robertson ’08. “It hasn’t changed my plans at all.”

For the first time in its 40-year history, this year’s Head of the Charles had its own soundtrack, “Row-a-Palooza”—an ongoing concert showcase of Boston Bands.

Members of the 2004 United States Olympic rowing crews also made an appearance at the race Saturday, taking a victory lap down the river.

“What’s so exciting about this event is seeing this many people dedicated to this wonderful sport,” said Jonathan F. Warburg ’63, who served as a race umpire.

With dozens of food vendors lining the banks of the Charles, and smells of fried dough, clam chowder and kettle corn wafting downriver, some students leapt at the chance to escape the dining hall and eat out.

“We were gung-ho about the race, but now that we’re here, we’ve moved over to the food,” said Estelle M. Reyes, a student at the Graduate School of Education.

“It’s kind of nice to have a fair-like atmosphere near school,” Reyes said, kettle corn in hand.

While the cold temperatures kept some at home, it couldn’t keep the die-hard fans away.

Regatta veterans Molly and Charles Barksdale of Austin, Texas, staked out a stretch along Eliot Bridge to lay out their full-size flag of Texas.

“All in all, the weather’s not so bad, but we’re a little wimpy,” Molly Barksdale said while trying to keep the flag from blowing away in the wind.

For Aerial Gilbert and Sarah M. Jones, the Head of the Charles was a particularly poignant experience.

Gilbert, age 50, has been rowing for 30 years but lost her sight 15 years ago after using contaminated eyedrops.

On Saturday, she became the first blind rower to complete the race, with her guide dog Hedda waiting on the banks.

She paired up with Jones, a member of the 2004 Olympic team, in hopes of raising awareness for guide dogs and adaptive rowing.

“It was the chance of a lifetime for me,” said Gilbert.

They finished 14th of 21 teams in the champion doubles women race.

“Not too bad for a couple of ladies,” Jones joked.

And Gilbert said that she enjoyed it so much they may come back.

“We’re toying with the idea of doing it again next year,” she said.