Dress-Up Time

During the pre-Halloween madness, frantic droves of shoppers search for that perfect costume—unique and identifiable, humorous yet attractive and preferably
By Aria S.K. Laskin

During the pre-Halloween madness, frantic droves of shoppers search for that perfect costume—unique and identifiable, humorous yet attractive and preferably under $20. While the stress can be overwhelming, take heart—the Cambridge/Boston area is a Mecca for costumes. Whether you are looking to be a devil, Batman or even a “Dr. Juanna Hummer,” your outfit can be found on the racks of one of these FM-vetted stores. It’s just waiting for you to claim it, rock it and make everyone around you uncomfortably aware that—compared to you—their costume is really just a fright.

Four Eyes Joke Shop

296 Main Street, Southbridge

Requires a car

Slowly becoming a local legend, Four Eyes Joke Shop focuses on the amusing, perverse and possibly grotesque—think cross-dressing Marilyn Monroe or Can-Can Girls. “Our slant is not fright, it’s funny,” says manager Valerie Pontbriand. While costumes such as “Hot Shit,” “Holy Shit” and “Crock of Shit” and a selection of over 10,000 accessories draw people to the shop, it is the energetic and amused attitude of its employees that keeps customers there. A place where the manager answers the phone wearing a pair of buck teeth, Four Eyes is the perfect stomping ground for Harvard pranksters. And though a trip to the store requires either a car or most of a day on public transportation, it’s worth it.

Dorothy’s Boutique

190 Massachusetts Avenue, Boston

Near the Hynes Convention Center stop, Green Line

An excellent choice for the budget shopper, Dorothy’s selection of costumes is eclectic and amusing. Besides boasting a wide stock of “sexy costumes” (nurse, Little Bo Beep, Dorothy) and many movie outfits (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings), Dorothy’s also offers a large array of accessories. Fangs, wigs, boas and hats are but a small sampling of the offerings that make Dorothy’s an essential stop for costume refinement. And that chinchilla tucked into a corner of your room need not miss out—Dorothy’s has costumes for the furry ones, too.

Oona’s

1210 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Across from The Inn at Harvard

A skip away from the Square, Oona’s is Mass. Ave.’s hidden gem. The inner walls are packed to the brim with old clothing, ranging from the ratty to the antique. Those with a clear Halloween vision will be wasting their time here—rather, it is the ideal destination for the unsure shopper. After 33 years of business, Oona’s owner Kathleen White has perfected the art of creating unique and personalized costumes. The employees here will literally dress up the shoppers, creating unique outfits such as “nerdy car salesman” or “dispossessed person.” Stop in between classes and leave transformed.

Boston Costume

69 Kneeland Street, Boston

Three blocks from N.E. Medical

Center stop, Orange Line

The Toys ’R Us of Halloween stores, Boston Costume has over 1000 different costumes for sale and rent, from the historical (Roman Centurion) to the magical (Shrek). Boston Costume also sells a plethora of accessories, stage makeup and wigs—during the year, most of their business comes from advertising agencies and TV production companies. The huge variety and high quality of goods sold at Boston Costume make it a necessary stop for the mainstream shopper.

The Garment District

200 Broadway, Cambridge

Near Kendall Stop, Red Line

The Garment District is the cooler, racier cousin of Boston Costume. Before entering, take a deep breath—this shop is not for the faint-hearted. The second floor is packed with racks of clothing, from intricate, multi-piece expensive costumes to vintage shirts, shoes and tacky pearl necklaces. And for all the wannabe bio concentrators, The Garment District’s selection of lab coats will make your heart pound. Shopping at The Garment District without direction is chaotic. With an idea in mind, however, this is the best place to piece together the crazy costume of your dreams