The Bomb to Best all H-Bombs

Male students disenchanted with the traditional recruiting options may want to try their chances at becoming prominent underwear models. This
By Jeffrey P. Amlin

Male students disenchanted with the traditional recruiting options may want to try their chances at becoming prominent underwear models.

This year Intimo, a national man’s underwear brand, is sponsoring the “Mr. Intimo USA” contest. The winner will receive $10,000 and a one-year stint modeling for the company. Mr. Intimo USA will appear in multiple photo shoots, be featured prominently on Intimo’s website, and attend promotional events and trade shows.

The company has put up posters around campus that feature an attractive woman in a tight white tank top holding a pair of Intimo briefs on her index finger. Above her are the words: “I am looking for the hottest man alive!!”

Intimo Director of Public Relations Kate Marcus explains, “We’re looking for all different looks—you don’t have to have a six-pack.” According to Marcus, the company is targeting college campuses to advertise the competition, because they want to raise their profile among their most profitable age bracket, 18-34 year-olds.

The application form, located at mrintimo.com, requires both a head shot and a full-body portrait. Marcus says an ideal candidate would be between 18 and 34, fit, outgoing and comfortable posing for the camera in nothing but Intimo underwear.

Intimo, which designs and manufactures all of its clothing, was founded 15 years ago by the Nathan brothers Tommy and Nathan. (You didn’t read this wrong: the co-founder’s name is Nathan Nathan.)

“If my internship in i-banking falls through this summer I may consider underwear modeling,” Simon D. Resnik ’07 said with a grin on his face. Does he think other Harvard students will enter the contest? “I sure hope not—I don’t want them to ruin my chances,” Resnik said.

Women, don’t despair: the company is looking for volunteers from both sexes to help promote the competition by distributing promotional materials on their campuses. The girl who gets the most guys to enter will receive a $200 reward. The law school already has its own Miss America: now it’s time for Harvard’s first Mr. Intimo.