Eminem political video speaks to youth interest in election

By Michelle Sonia

As I read Friday’s editorial, “Please stop Moshing” (Comment, Oct. 29), I couldn’t help thinking that the exploits of the far-right Harvard students are usually good for a few harmless laughs; I even enjoy engaging in debates with my more conservative colleagues, especially as we get closer to the election this week. However, Mark Adomanis’ comments go beyond what I would consider even absurd.  Of course, I appreciate the freedom to express his opinion, but it must be said that his words were absolutely ridiculous.

The fact that Eminem has released a politically motivated video is evidence of the fact that more Americans are interested in the results of this election. If you disagree with his opinions, that’s fine. As Americans, we all have the right to do that, it is called the First Amendment. But to question whether people who are encouraged to vote because they see “Mosh” on MTV are “the kind of people we want voting?” is ludicrous.  While I don’t think that question should even be gratified with a response, I felt compelled to reply in order to make sure the Harvard community at large did not actually believe this was the majority opinion.

It seems to me the fact that voter turnout is usually extremely low, especially amongst the younger voter, should be considered a problem.  Until the youth vote becomes more of a significant factor, politicians will continue to neglect the issues that are most important to us.  To “fervently hope” that younger voters will “continue to be simply too lazy to show up at the polls” is not only ridiculous, but also borders on the unconstitutional.  To imply that the country would “loose very little if people with perspectives as warped as Eminem’s neglect to vote” essentially amounts to advocating the disenfranchisement of those voters who disagree with you. I am personally appalled that a government concentrator at Harvard would be so misguided.

MICHELLE SONIA ‘06

October 30