Maasdorp named Ivy Player of the Year; Five Others Honored as All-Ivy

By Pablo S. Torre, Crimson Staff Writer

For the girl whose 40 points in the regular season fell just shy of Harvard’s all-time single-season scoring record, this is what you would call a nice consolation prize.

After helping lead the Crimson to its first Ivy title in 13 years—and thus an NCAA Tournament bid—senior midfielder Shelley Maasdorp was named Ivy League Player of the Year yesterday, becoming the fourth player in Harvard history to be awarded the distinction.

Maasdorp led the Ancient Eight in scoring with a prolific 18 goals and five assists. She was a first-team selection last year after being named to the second-team after her freshman and sophomore seasons.

Junior midfielder Jen McDavitt joins Maasdorp on the All-Ivy first-team on the strength of a season when she became the Crimson’s all-time single-season assists leader with 18 helpers to go along with five goals. Captain midfielder Kate Gannon—incidentally just one behind McDavitt for the season assist record with 17—was honored with a second team designation.

Junior back Beth Sackovich joins Gannon on the second team thanks to a superb defensive campaign in which she started all 17 games in the Harvard backfield at sweeper.

Senior netminder Aliaa Remtilla was an honorable mention following her first full season in the cage, as was forward Jane Sackovich, who emerged to be sixth on the team in scoring.

Field Hockey