‘Blade’ Writer Takes Director’s Seat

Series creator David Goyer muses on cool kids and vampires

By Vijay A. Bal, Contributing Writer

“I can’t believe I get paid to do this,” says David S. Goyer during a recent interview discussing his upcoming film Blade: Trinity. The writer of all three Blade films had his work cut out for him on Trinity—it was his first mainstream directing job and it will probably be the final chapter in the popular Blade series. Yet, even at the end of a long day of press interviews, he can barely contain his excitement.

“I absolutely love movies and, despite what they may say, every writer has a dream of becoming a director.” The transition from behind the story to behind the camera may seem intimidating, but Goyer felt prepared. “Between working for Alex Proyas [Dark City], Stephen Norrington [Blade] and others, I have learned from some of the best directors out there. I may not have been to film school officially, but what better education can there be?”

“Don’t get me wrong,” Goyer adds, “I also worked with a lot of directors who are less than stellar—I won’t name any names—but even that ends up being a learning experience.”

Goyer has been the driving force behind every Blade movie: he was attached to the first film even before Wesley Snipes. His involvement has been a dream come true for this life-long comic book fanatic.

“I am a comic book nerd—there is no other way to put it,” he says. “I grew up in comic book stores and watching anything and everything comic book related.” Goyer’s appreciation for the core material shapes his conduct with his fans, “I was a fan for so many years so I know what it feel likes to want to know everything and anything about a character like Blade. That’s one of the reasons I personally answer any questions that someone asks on the official Blade website.”

Not only has Goyer answered hundreds of questions online, but he even convinced cast-members Wesley Snipes, Jessica Biel, and Ryan Reynolds to post answers to fan questions. Yes, that’s right. Jessica Biel, Ryan Reynolds and Parker Posey costar in the new Blade film, casting choices that have left quite a few scratching their heads.

“Yeah, people were shocked by some of the casting decisions,” Goyer explains, “but I feel it is my job to surprise the audiences. Reynolds and Posey do wonderful jobs in this film and nearly all of the feedback I get from people who have seen the film is ‘Wow, I never would have expected they would do so well in those roles.’”

Though Blade must fight Posey, Reynolds and Biel play the Nightstalkers, a group who aid Blade in his war against immortals. “Reynolds and Biel are key to the film; they are who Blade passes the torch to in his fight against vampires.”

But why should Blade pass the torch, why not just continue the fight himself? “Wesley is getting old,” Goyer admits. “He is still in good shape but he simply cannot do the stunts he was able to for the first Blade film. In a couple of scenes I actually used CGI to graft his face onto that of a stunt double.”

Goyer is quick to point out that the heart of the Blade films is the story of vampires. From the first film it has been cleat that Goyer’s creations were not the same brooding troubled bloodsuckers found in Anne Rice novels or standard Dracula stories.

“I was really proud of what I did with vampires in the first film,” Goyer says. “The whole idea of vampirism being a type of sexually transmitted disease always struck me as interesting, but I never understood why vampires never seemed to have fun. In the Blade films I try not to idolize them, but I do make them somewhat enviable: they wear the best clothes, live in the nicest places, and have access to everything they could ever want.”

In Goyer’s eyes, his vampires are “the cool kids in high school who everyone hated but secretly wanted to be.”

With vampires such a great narrative inspiration, Goyer remains open to the prospect of further films: “It really just depends on whether there is another story worth telling. Right now I don’t know what we would do…but I did have an idea for the third film that was eventually scrapped, who knows what could happen.”

Even if this is the final Blade, there will be no shortage of David Goyer in Hollywood.

“I’m actually meeting with some studio executives next month to discuss buying the rights to some DC Comics properties,” he reveals. “I’m interested in bringing some of the lesser known comic characters to the screen, I think that’s what made Blade such a pleasant surprise to so many people, he wasn’t a household name.”

He is also attached to a new Ghost Rider film that is currently in development. But his biggest project is writing next summer’s Batman Begins, Warner Brothers’ relaunch of their Batman franchise.

“I was writing Batman during the day and Trinity at night and then went off to shoot Trinity,” Goyer remembers. “After finishing press for this film I’ll do touch ups on the Batman script with the director, Christopher Nolan (Memento). He and I both know that project will be the biggest thing we will ever do.”

Despite Goyer’s high status in Hollywood, he remains grateful, excited, and surprisingly unjaded. “It is literally a dream come true. I would work for a tenth of what they pay me…I have so much fun doing what I do.”