MAC Renovations, Finally

New improvements will better undergraduate exercise options, for now

By The Crimson Staff

For years, Harvard students looking for some casual exercise have gazed longingly across the river. Surpressing visions of clean, spacious and uncrowded weightrooms and row upon row of beautiful, unused treadmills—located in exercise facilities meant specifically for athletes—these students climb the stairs of the Malkin Athletic Center (MAC) with a tinge of frustration. Waiting in line for treadmills isn’t too soothing either. And with each new, monolithic athletic building that appeared in Allston, the vast disparity between Harvard’s exercise facilities for athletes and those meant for everyone else got driven home even more. Something had to change.

Responding to growing student dissatisfaction and a well-orchestrated push by the Undergraduate Council, Harvard administrators finally tore themselves away from Allston planning to take an honest look at the MAC. A University press release last week announced a $2 million renovation plan for the MAC that will nearly double student space and exercise equipment—a welcome and long overdue step. This renovation coupled with the $250,000 given to fund House gym improvements earlier this year will improve undergraduate health.

But Dean of the College Benedict H. Gross ’71 and Associate Dean of the College Thomas A. Dingman ’67 should not characterize this round of renovations as anything more than a stopgap measure. Even with new gym equipment and greater space, the MAC still will not meet student needs. The cost—$30 million estimated—along with the practical concern of relocating three varsity teams, has long held up full renovations of the MAC. Allston planning, including deciding which new varsity facilities will be built across the river, in turn, complicated the relocation process. Certainly, Harvard’s Allston expansion should be thoroughly thought out. But the planning, which has taken longer than expected, shouldn’t have held up these stopgap enhancements to the MAC for so long. Dean of the Faculty William C. Kirby reportedly decided earlier this year to green light temporary improvements to the MAC. He was years too late.

While undergraduates enjoy shorter lines for treadmills and a little more space to move around in the weightrooms, Harvard administrators should work hard next year to finish Allston planning. Once Dean Gross and Dean Kirby have a clearer picture of what’s going to be in Allston, more significant MAC renovations can begin.