The Brotherhood of One

For Omar A. Urquidez ’05, the idea of a brotherhood is more that of an only child. An enthusiastic, yet
By Meghan M. Dolan

For Omar A. Urquidez ’05, the idea of a brotherhood is more that of an only child. An enthusiastic, yet solo, member of Pi Iota Alpha, Urquidez is a one man fraternity here a Harvard—if such a thing exists.

A mechanical engineering concentrator in Leverett House, Urquidez says that the Latino fraternity of which he is a part has been a steady and important force in his time here.

Urquidez rushed this frat in the spring of his freshman year. That was a point, he says, “when Latino Greek life was very prominent on campus; we had four Greek organizations at once.” Pi Iota Alpha, although a Latino fraternity, is “multicultural in its intake and membership,” says Urquidez. Their mission, Urquidez says, is professionalism—to “focus on personal growth and getting the brothers ready for the business world, to have a good footing for yourself and others.”

Unfortunately, almost all of Urquidez’s brothers, Pi Iota Alpha’s founding members, graduated after his freshman year, leaving him to continue the fraternity on his own, and now he is the last one standing. Urquidez spends a lot of time with his brothers at Boston University, planning events, going to their meetings and “trying to aid others in succeeding.” His brother at B.U., Christian F. Ponce, says that Omar has not been shy about “providing both himself and his opinions” to his brothers at B.U. The B.U. chapter, though, is not worried about their fledgling Harvard brother. Ponce says that “The Harvard chapter will continue to exist [under Urquidez’s leadership]...because of the previous Harvard brothers and the importance of alumni support within our fraternity.”

Here at Harvard, Urquidez says, Pi Iota Alpha, “supports other thriving Latino student organizations whether in man-power or in fundraising.”

Urquidez, who is a Texas native of Mexican descent, says that his fraternity has meant so much to him because most of its members “come from backgrounds strong in family values, so we bond together here as a family…it is hard being away from everything you know.” Urquidez’s roommate, Joseph P. Fishman ’05, says that “He has definitely been frustrated at times being the only one, but hey, who wouldn’t be?” Ponce confirms that “Omar has survived because of his ability to see things as a whole, not in parts.”

His ability to stay positive is a good thing for Urquidez, “the Texan, hispanic frat machine,” as Fishman calls him. Fishman also affirms Omar’s dedication and Pi Iota Alpha pride, saying that “[Omar’s] collection of frat t-shirts accounts for a good chunk of his wardrobe.”

Currently, Urquidez is on the lookout for new protégés, and despite his lack of actual Harvard brothers and mere word of mouth publicity, he still contests that, “The best thing is the brotherhood.”