Jennelle Forgets The Positive Progress That Bush Has Made

Letters to the Editors

By John M. Persinger

To the editors:

Can attacking someone’s character without any factual basis be considered an act of recklessness? What if these attacks have already been raised and defeated before? Are these attacks then considered an act of forgetfulness? If the answer to these questions is yes, then Blake Jennelle is apparently guilty of being both reckless and forgetful in his column “It’s the Biography Stupid” (March 1).

It’s troubling how, in the year 2004, the critics of the president have made it okay to be so reckless and forgetful.

They forget that George W. Bush’s personal integrity has been questioned and upheld in three previous political campaigns and that hundred of millions admire his resolve, vision and leadership so they recklessly belittle his character again.

They forget that the economy is growing, that productivity is at record levels and that jobs are beginning to be created so they recklessly belittle the accomplishments of our economy.

They forget that the war on terror is bringing increased security to the United States and is ushering in a wave of freedom throughout the world so they recklessly belittle the work of our troops serving domestically and abroad.

While Jennelle and others have made it okay to be reckless and forgetful, the American people will not forget how the president provides the U.S. with the positive and optimistic leadership it deserves. Are opponents like Blake Jennelle asleep at the TV set in their comfortable Harvard world or just whining because they toe the party line?

John M. Persinger ’03

March 4, 2004