Track and Field Registers Strong Showing at Brown Invitational

In their second meet of the outdoor season, the Harvard men’s and women’s track and field teams found themselves with a lot of second-place finishes on the track at Brown Stadium.

The meet—the Brown invitational—was the first Ivy League competition that the Crimson has seen this season. However, the field included other local Rhode Island and Boston area schools.

The women’s team had one of its most impressive meets in the point standings yet this year—including indoor season—finishing fourth with 82 points. The host Brown team dominated the meet to take home the victory with 179 points.

“It was our first outdoor meet back in home territory, and I think the team as a whole was definitely satisfied,” sophomore Laura Maludzinski said.

The men had a more disappointing finish in terms of placement, coming in ninth, but accumulated 43 points against a bigger field of teams. The meet was won by Dartmouth—who edged Brown with 139 points on the day.Both teams will be at Yale next weekend, racing against the Bulldogs on McCurdy track.

MEN

The men’s track team saw almost half its points come in one event—one which it should dominate throughout the course of the season barring injury.

In the triple jump, Harvard grabbed first, second and sixth to score a combined 21 points. The winner, sophomore Samyr Laine, flew by the rest of the competition, beating second-place sophomore Lawrence Adjah by almost a half a meter. Rounding out the scoring for the Crimson was Travis Hughes with a jump of 13.97 meters, just a hundredth of a meter out of fifth place.

The runners for Harvard had a tough time scoring on Saturday against the strong competition, with only 10 of the Crimson’s points coming in these events from two athletes.

The best effort turned in for Harvard was definitely that of junior Alasdair McLean-Foreman—running in his first meet for the Crimson in over a month because of the break between seasons and injuries—who finished second in the half mile race with a time of 1:51.42.

The same race included some other highlights for Harvard—with junior Art Baum and sophomore Timothy Galebach finishing 14th and 15th, respectively.

Junior Mike Schlund registered the other two points in the 200m race with a time of 22.99, which marks one of the few times this season that Harvard has been able to field athletes that score in this event.

Other highlights included freshman Jonathan Paul’s continued improvement, breaking the 4:00 mark in the 1500m and besting his time from the season’s first meet down at Rice by over two seconds.

The Crimson’s other few points came from the throwing events, from junior Kristoffer Hinson and sophomore Chris Ware—fifth and seventh, respectively—in the shot put and sophomore James Rhodes in the hammer throw. Rhodes followed up his third place finish in the event down in Texas by throwing three meters further to grab third for a second straight meet.

WOMEN

On the track, Harvard complimented its usual field event strength by scoring a number of its points with top four finishers in a wide range of events.