Loker Night Livens Up Space

By Jeffrey C. Aguero, Crimson Staff Writer

Sporting bright pink “Loker Nights” t-shirts, over 100 students gathered in Loker Commons on Saturday night to hear the musical stylings of five of Harvard’s a cappella groups.

The Harvard Glee Club Lite, Veritones, Opportunes, LowKeys and Callbacks each performed a handful of songs during the event, which was sponsored by the Undergraduate Council and the First Year Social Committee. It is the second of three events held in Loker aimed at revitalizing the venue.

“My hope is that if the U.C. is using the space, it might be used by other groups too,” said event co-coordinator Joshua H. Stern ’05, who also sings with the Glee Club Lite.

Council members who helped with the a cappella night, including Andrew R. Jorgensen ’05, praised the efforts of Stern and John F. Voith ’07 in coordinating the event.

“John and Josh are the ones really behind it,” Jorgensen said. “They’ve really done a great job.”

Stern said that while the council is doing the best it can with Loker, a new campus center would allow for expanded opportunities.

“I think with a new student center we could do more events like this all the time,” Stern said.

After serenading the audience with such hits as “Here’s to the Night” by Eve 6 and “Don’t Know Why” by Norah Jones, members of the a cappella groups said they enjoyed the event as well.

“It’s fun to see the other groups,” said Shannon M. Kelly ’07 of the Veritones.

Michael V. Tucci ’06, also of the Veritones, noted the atmosphere of the event.

“It’s nice to sing in an informal setting,” Tucci said. “It’s fun to be right up with your audience.”

The performances were well received, and the crowd remained fairly steady at 100 for the entire hour and a half.

“It’s a great way to expose people to a cappella groups,” said Anna S. Tseretopoulos ’07, who attended the event in part to see two friends perform. Tseretopoulos said she did not go to Battle of the Bands Loker night on March 13, but that her experience on Saturday might lure her to the final Loker night next month.

“I didn’t go last time,” Tseretopulos said. “But now, I definitely would consider going to the next one.”

—Staff writer Jeffrey C. Aguero can be reached at aguero@fas.harvard.edu.