Commencement: Three Student Speakers Chosen

By Laura A. Morris, Crimson Staff Writer

In an address that will urge audience members to follow their passions, Kathryn L. Rakoczy ’04 will speak on behalf of the Class of 2004 at this year’s Commencement.

Rakoczy, who was the Crimson’s Associate Managing Editor from 2003 to 2004, is one of three graduating students selected yesterday to speak at the June 10 ceremony. Rakoczy will deliver the English address, Pankaj K. Agarwalla ’04 will give the Latin oration and Harvard Law School student Stephen E. Frank ’95 will present the graduate student speech.

These three students were selected from among 54 applicants by an eight-member committee composed of senior faculty and University officials.

“We look for some variety in our program,” said Professor of Greek and Latin Richard F. Thomas, who served on the committee. “Specifically, the committee is looking for a clear message and articulate messenger.”

Rakoczy said her speech would focus on the rewards of pursuing one’s passion.

“One of the most important things I learned was balance—learning how to give something up to pursue something you love,” Rakoczy said.

Agarwalla said that his Latin speech, translated as “Oration on the evolution of ‘Harvard Man,’” would provide a “whimsical journey through the Harvard student’s evolution.”

He credited his friends with helping to put together the speech.

The Latin oration, first delivered at Commencement in 1642, is one of Harvard’s oldest traditions.

Each graduating senior will be given an English translation of Agarwalla’s address.

Frank, also a Crimson editor, is not new to the Commencement podium.

In 1995, he delivered the undergraduate English oration. This year, in his speech entitled “Leaving Footprints In Time,” Frank will encourage the audience to follow in the University’s tradition of using education to stand up to injustice and intolerance.

“Most people who have been around for a while agree that the student orations are one of the high points of the Commencement festivities,” University Marshal Jacqueline A. O’Neill, a member of the selection committee, wrote in an e-mail. “I don’t think they’ll be disappointed.”

The three speakers will address an audience of around 32,000 gathered in Tercentenary Theater to watch Harvard’s Commencement exercises.

“I’m excited,” Rakoczy said, “but obviously overwhelmed.”

Last year, Eric B. Hart ’03 deliverd English oration, Charles B. Watson Jr. ’03 gave the Latin oration and Harvard Business School (HBS) student Elizabeth Carpenter presented the graduate student oration.