Brown Laxmen Trip Crimson; Duffy, Russo Spearhead Win

By Philip Weiss

The Brown lacrosse offense, a.k.a. Russo & Duffy, blew the Crimson stickmen off the field, 19-8, yesterday afternoon on the Business School field.

Attackman Steve Russo, with three goals and eight assists, and sophomore attackman John Duffy, with eight goals and an assist, spearheaded the Bruin triumph. The combination of Russo-to-Duffy clicked five times.

Harvard's saving grace was captain John Hagerty, who grabbed four goals for the third game in a row and assisted twice in the losing effort. Brown outshot the Crimson, 62-31.

The Crimson Rally

In the first eight minutes of the contest, Brown jumped to a 4-0 lead before the Crimson staged its only rally of the game, narrowing the margin to 6-4 by seven minutes into the second quarter.

Hagerty, neutralized in the beginning by defenseman Tim Robinson, was in on every one of the first four scoring plays: Middy Andy Anderson, on an assist from Hagerty; Hagerty, unassisted; midfielder Tom Locke, assisted by Hagerty; and Hagerty again.

But Brown came to its senses with four straight goals, and Harvard never got close again.

Midfielder Bob Frisbie ended first-half scoring with an unassisted score from the left-hand side, but the Bruins kept a 10-5 margin.

In the third quarter Brown reeled off five unanswered points before Locke got his second goal, flying into a defender on the Bruin crease and flipping the ball past goalie Dan Campbell just before contact.

Barely into the fourth quarter, Hagerty enticed the Bruin netminder out of the net and then fired the ball past him to make it 16-7. Five minutes later Hagerty fed middy Garth Ballantyne to finish off Harvard's scoring.