Students Celebrate Israel’s Independence

Rebecca E. Wexler ’05, foreground, Miriam D. Lense ’05, left, Anna R. Rosenblum ’06, center, and Christine S. Kim ’06, right, of the musical group Recklez perform klezmer music at IsraelFest yesterday.
By Derek A. Vance, Contributing Writer

The strong scents of falafel, schwarma and hummus wafted across the lawn outside the Science Center yesterday as Hillel and Harvard Students for Israel commemorated the 56th anniversary of Israel’s independence in the second annual IsraelFest.

Approximately 500 students passed through the large white tent to purchase Israeli chocolate, keychains, flags and food while listening to live music from the Jewish a cappella group Mizmor Shir and a student Klezmer Band, Recklez. The tent also featured tables offering information about traveling to Israel and studying there.

According to Rozalina Grubina ’04, the event’s organizer, IsraelFest was intended as a celebration of the nation’s Independence Day and Israeli culture for everyone in the community, irrespective of their political beliefs.

“A lot of people have been asking questions about Israel,” said Grubina, who is Hillel’s Grinspoon Israel Advocacy Intern. “I think it’s been a great way for people to find out what Israeli life and culture is about aside from what you hear on the news.”

Raphael Zentner, a visiting graduate student from France who dropped by the white tent yesterday, said he appreciated the new perspective that the event provided.

“This is not something political I would say,” he said. “Usually you hear about Israel in the news and it’s all bad news so it’s nice to see some of the beautiful aspects.”

Standing outside listening to Recklez, J. Jamie Gottlieb ’06 said that she also liked how the event shied away from the political controversy surrounding Israel.

“I guess it’s just important to show the softer side of Israeli culture. It’s not just about the politics,” she said. “It’s about the music and food and hanging out with people.”

Joseph M. Mazor, a second year graduate student who sang with Mizmor Shir yesterday and also serves as its musical director, said he felt it was important that the group perform at the event.

“A lot of people aren’t very familiar with Israeli music so performing Israeli music gives people a taste of Israel beyond the food and everything else here,” he said.

Grubina said the event attracted students of all faiths.

“Definitely less than half [of the people attending] have been Jewish,” she said.

Judah S. Jacobson ’04, who attended the event, said IsraelFest’s location outside the Science Center probably contributed to its large, diverse turnout.

“One of the great things about this is that since it’s in such a prominent place, anyone can just walk in,” he said.

The food may have also attracted some of the students, though the supply ran short later in the afternoon.

Zentner, the French visiting student, noted his distaste for the food, but said he still found the celebration to be appealing.

“What I especially liked about it is that you wouldn’t find something like that in Europe,” he said.

Grubina said students could count on the celebration continuing.

“The success this year has been amazing, so we’re definitely going to continue it next year,” she said.