Report Says Agencies Scammed Spring Breakers

Students could have been charged hidden travel fees

By Mohammed Herzallah, Contributing Writer

Memories of crazy late-night beach parties might not be the only thing on the minds of college students returning from spring break vacations, according to a report issued last week.

The Public Interest Research Group (PIRG), the consumer protection organization that authored the report, found that hidden travel and accommodation fees are more than capable of transforming a magical spring break into a financial nightmare for this year’s spring breakers.

“We found that, without exception, the actual cost of a spring break trip was far higher than the price advertised,” according to the report, which examined the prices of 17 travel agencies that advertise on college campuses.

Most companies named in the report charged substantially more than their advertised prices, and one company’s fees more than doubled their advertised price tag.

The report also stated that because travel agencies require customers to sign contracts waiving some of their legal rights, travel companies can actually change travel and accommodation plans without any legal liability.

Chris Lindstrom, PIRG’s Massachusetts representative, said the group received complaints from several students who purchased direct flights, but ended up having to take connection flights. In some extreme cases, she said, travelers had to take buses between cities to reach their final destinations.

Lindstrom said that “despite the obvious misrepresentation, these practices are still legal under the current law”.

Jeffrey B. Miller ’05 was in a group of 10 students who attended a vacation in Negril, Jamaica during spring break. The group booked the trip in Cambridge last December with STA Travel.

In a letter he wrote to STA Travel after the trip, Miller complained, “The online description of the hotel, which we used to base our decision to stay there, in no way correlated with the actual experience.”

“The online description from the...website included 2 restaurants, 2 bars, a pool, 2 Jacuzzis, air conditioning in all rooms,” he continued in the letter. “Not only were there no restaurants, pools, Jacuzzis, or air conditioning, there was also no electricity or hot water for large portions of our night there.”

Miller said he felt “deliberately deceived and exploited” by the agency.

STA Travel was mentioned in the PIRG report. According to the report, STA Travel charged almost 40 percent more than their advertised prices. The agency declined comment yesterday.

Rami R. Sarafah ’07, a frequent online travel customer, expressed concern about the report’s findings.

“Many college students shop for tickets online believing that the Net is the place that offers the cheapest prices which they can afford with their limited resources,” Sarafah said. “If this report is true, then we will have to go to other alternatives which may be slower and less alternatives which may be slower and less convenient.”

Sarafah said he believes he has had problems with hidden travel fees.

“I always knew there was something wrong. There are charges that only appear after you submit your credit card information,” he said.

Sun Splash Tours, Student City Travel and Paradise Parties—other agencies cited in the PIRG report—all declined comment.

The report cautions would-be customers to read contracts very carefully before submitting any credit card information.

PIRG also warns those planning trips to look for background information about agencies, to avoid companies that request waiving legal rights, and to send complaints to PIRG or other consumer protection agencies.

The report can be viewed at http://www.pirg.org/highered.