Sports Briefs

By The Crimson Staff

MCCAGG NAMED TO USOC’S NEW BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Former Radcliffe rower Mary McCagg ’89 has been named to the United States Olympic Committee’s Board of Directors, chaired by former Major League Baseball commissioner Peter Ueberroth.

Unlike the previous board’s structure, in which the presence of 125 members hampered dialogue and decision-making, the panel’s latest incarnation will be limited in size, composed of just 11 directors.

McCagg, who is the assistant publishing manager of Candlewick Press, twice represented the United States in the Olympics, first in Barcelona in 1992, then at the Atlanta games in 1996. On both occasions, the American eight reached the grand final.

In addition to her Olympic accomplishments, McCagg is an 11-time national champion and two-time gold medalist in international competition.

FOOTBALL TO BE CARRIED LIVE ON WWZN UNDER NEW CONTRACT

Harvard and WWZN have struck a deal that will allow all 10 of the Crimson’s games next season to be carried live on “The Zone.”

WWZN, 1510 on the AM dial, is a Boston all-sports station and currently serves as the radio home of the Boston Celtics.

According to the Harvard press release announcing the deal, the 50,000-watt transmitter utilized by WWZN will allow Crimson games to be broadcast to much of New England and not just the Boston metropolitan area.

“I am excited to add Harvard Football to the growing list of local programming on 1510 The Zone,” WWZN general manager Michael Winn said in the release. “It is only natural to have two entities with such rich traditions as Harvard and The Sporting News team up for a program like this, and I’m thrilled to give our listeners and the business community a 50,000-watt radio station for the 2004 Harvard football season.”

Bernie Corbett and Mike Giardi ’94 will stay on as the voices of the Crimson despite the change in carrier.

WOMEN'S TENNIS TOPS YEAR-END EAST REGIONAL RANKINGS

Despite a plethora of injuries and an abbreviated NCAA tournament run, the Harvard women’s tennis team finished the 2003-2004 season as the top team in the East.

Rarely fielding its entire young lineup, the Crimson battled to a 14-10 record, one which looked significantly worse prior to the start of Ivy play following a difficult West Coast trip and a series of losses to lower-ranked opponents.

But the Crimson rebounded to sweep its Ivy season for the second season in a row before bowing out of the NCAA tournament in the first round with a loss to Ohio State.

Junior co-captains Courtney Bergman and Susanna Lingman finished the season at Nos. 4 and 9 in the region, respectively, No. 3 as a tandem.

Sophomore Eva Wang and junior Alexis Martire finished Nos. 12 and 19 in singles, respectively, and were the No. 10 doubles pair.

Penn, Yale and Princeton all finished in the top 15 as well, coming in at Nos. 4, 9 and 14 respectively.

HARVARD PLACES 58TH IN QUEST FOR USSA DIRECTORS’ CUP

Stanford captured its 10th-straight United States Sports Academy Directors’ Cup earlier this week, overtaking Michigan, which led after the conclusion of the winter sports season.

The Directors’ Cup is a measure of a school’s cumulative athletic performance in a given year, assigning points based on year-end finish relative to the national champions in each sport.

UCLA, Ohio State and Georgia rounded out the top five.

Harvard placed 58th, second in the Ivy League behind Princeton at No. 33.

The Crimson accumulated no points in the fall season, but bounced back with a solid showing in the winter, spearheaded by the fencing team, which earned 70.5 points for its performance this year.

Wrestling earned 52 points, men’s swimming 43.5 and skiing 36. The men’s ice hockey team earned 25 points.

Because the national pool is not large enough, points are not awarded for women’s ice hockey, in which the Crimson placed second in the NCAA tournament.

Men’s tennis led the spring campaign with 64 points.