New Coach Farrar Brings Stability, Experience

By Megha Parekh, Crimson Staff Writer

With a want ad like that, who wouldn’t be chomping at the bit for the job as Harvard water polo coach?

The job requires someone with talent and skill. Someone who has coached a high-caliber team before. Perhaps someone who is ready to return to coaching after taking time off to build custom furniture?

After the abrupt resignation of coach Scott Russell, the Harvard men’s water polo team was praying for fresh blood to revitalize the slumping program. Its prayers have been answered with Erik Farrar, named Coach of the Year once by the Eastern Water Polo Associate and twice by the Collegiate Water Polo Association

“Until this fall, my only coaching experience had been at my alma mater,” Farrar said, “so in many respects, it was time for a new challenge.”

After five successful years with the Bears, Farrar left coaching in 1998 to spend more time with his family and continue pursuing carpentry. When approached with the job of Crimson water polo coach this past summer, Farrar felt both the timing and the opportunity were perfect for his return.

“When I heard that Scott was leaving and Erik was replacing him, I was very excited,” said junior Robbie Burmeister, Harvard’s goaltender. “I felt that after last year, we needed a fresh start and an opportunity to wipe the slate clean as a team.”

Sophomore Borna Dabiri agreed.

“After the season with Scott, things couldn’t get any worse, I don’t think. I was excited to get all the drama behind us and get moving on the new season,” he said.

Farrar certainly has experience guiding struggling teams to victory. In 1991, budget cuts led Brown to terminate the varsity status of its men’s water polo team. After a lackluster 1992 season, Farrar led the squad to a 22-5 record and a third-place finish in the Easterns.

This weekend’s ECAC Championships will showcase what Coach Farrar has—or has not—been able to accomplish with the Crimson squad. Harvard is the No. 10—and lowest—seed in the tournament. The Crimson did, however. defeat the No. 4 seed, Queens College, in its opening game. Under Farrar’s guidance, Harvard jumped to a 9-0 lead in the opening period and ultimately defeated the Knights 17-9.

“I was a little nervous, just because he didn’t have a whole lot of time before we came for preseason,” sophomore Mike Garcia said, “but he has done a great job so far.”

Whether or not the Crimson can climb any further up the ladder remains to be seen, as Harvard lost to No. 3-seeded St. Francis last weekend.

But with his extensive coaching experience, Farrar might be just the man to rehabilitate the Crimson program, and much of his success he might attribute to his own skills as a water polo player.

“I was a goaltender,” Farrar said. “ Not surprisingly, many coaches are former goalies.  We spent much of our time watching the offense and the rest of the time running the defense.  Defense, obviously, is something I emphasize a great deal.”

In 1984, when Farrar was playing for the Bears, Brown made history by finishing the season with a No. 6 ranking in the American Water Polo Coaches Association Poll—the best ever for a school from the east.

During that time, Farrar played for esteemed coach Ed Reed, who never endured a losing season in 20 years at Brown’s helm, and the Bears won three consecutive Eastern Championships from 1983 to 1985.

Even then, Reed could see Farrar’s leadership skills clearly.

“My best memory of Erik was when we sent the JV team [for which Farrar was the goaltender] to play against Harvard,” Reed said. “The players, Erik included, shaved their heads for that game. He was very fired-up, took the bull by the horns and helped the team to win.”

When he began at Brown, Farrar led the men’s team to three national top-20 finishes. Between 1994 and 1998, the Bears finished third in the Easterns three times and accumulated an 84-46 record.

Farrar also successfully coached Brown’s women’s squad between 1993 and 1998, garnering a 66-30 overall record. The Bears also earned No. 12 and No. 11 rankings in 1995 and 1996, respectively.

Farrar now hopes that the Crimson can “qualify for Easterns and go far into the tournament.

“In addition,” he said, “I want to establish within the team a tradition of commitment and excellence to pass on to future generations of Harvard water polo players.  I think that latter process is already well on its way.”

“It’s a great fit for Erik,” Reed said. “He’s a good communicator, and he understand Harvard very well because Brown and Harvard are so similar.”

Farrar wasted no time in preparing the team for its new season, beginning rigorous training as soon as he arrived. His efficiency impressed the Crimson from the start.

“Our team got to school Aug. 25, and we trained hard for three weeks, going six hours a day for most of preseason,” Burmeister said. “Our team is in really good shape, and I feel that Erik really has a plan for each practice, which makes them very effective and efficient.”

And while some blamed Russell’s strenuous practices for the team’s troubles last season, Farrar has been able to avoid that problem while still training effectively.

“We don’t have as many morning practices as last year,” Dabiri said, “and we actually get some rest before big games. Our swim sets have been harder than last year, but done at better times, which has left a lot of the guys in much better shape.”

Though entering a tough situation, Farrar quickly gained the respect of his players .

“I think he has greatly improved the team,” Garcia said. “He knows the game very well and he pushes us day in and day out.”

While the offense has clicked in the team’s opening games, Garcia hopes the Crimson will also improve its defensive intensity.

“Ultimately, it boils down a firm grasp of the fundamentals and to execution,” Farrar said.  “Having said that, the players at Harvard are very smart people so that gives us many, many options.”

The Crimson opens ECAC Championship play tonight against top-seeded Navy, the same team that dashed the chances of Farrar’s Bears for an NCAA playoff spot in a tightly-contested match 11 years ago.

Farrar expects Harvard to compete strongly in this weekend’s match-ups. “I’d like us to win the whole thing.  Is that possible? Yes.  Is it going to happen?  Who knows?”

—Staff writer Megha Parkeh can be reached at parekh@fas.harvard.edu.

Men's Water Polo