Dedication And Commitment of Nathans Will Be Missed

By Zachary Gingo, Eric Paras, and Noah Selsby

To the editors:

On behalf of 45 first-year proctors, it is with sadness that we read that Elizabeth “Ibby” Studley Nathans will “conclude her service” as Dean of Freshmen in June 2005 (News, "Freshman Dean Forced to Leave Post,” Sept. 13).

Dean Nathans is a wonderful mentor, a dedicated and committed administrator, and a creative innovator who has never lost sight of the virtues of Harvard’s traditions. Most importantly, she is a warm and generous human being.

Over the last decade, Ibby has helped transform the life of this university. In our view, Ibby’s legacy lies beyond a mere list of accomplishments; it lies in her commitment to the flourishing of others.Ibby cares deeply about the success of her students and colleagues.

Openness, concern, understanding: these things she has taught by example.

With Ibby’s departure, Harvard loses its leading advocate for the uniqueness of the first-year experience.  For many of our students, life in the Yard highlights for the first time the need to balance self-reliance and independence with mutual and shared responsibility. Ibby’s sensitivity to this tension-—as a compassionate mentor and a fair disciplinarian-—has made her a model for first-years and proctors, alike. She has made first-years’ lives better.

Ibby has always said that “Harvard will survive” regardless of the particular individuals at its helm.  But we know that places like Harvard survive-—and thrive —because of people like Ibby.  We will miss her.

ZACHARY GINGO ’98

ERIC PARAS

NOAH SELSBY ’95

September 19, 2004

The writers are senior proctors in Elm, Ivy and Crimson yards, respectively.