Quakers Steal Ivy Opener from W. Soccer

Harvard shut out in heartbreaking 1-0 loss to Penn

Junior goalkeeper Katie Shields, shown here in earlier action, recorded four saves during yesterday’s 1-0 Harvard loss to Penn in the team’s Ivy League opener in Philadelphia.  Anna Halse earned the shutout in goal for the Quakers.
Junior goalkeeper Katie Shields, shown here in earlier action, recorded four saves during yesterday’s 1-0 Harvard loss to Penn in the team’s Ivy League opener in Philadelphia. Anna Halse earned the shutout in goal for the Quakers.
By Carrie H. Petri, Crimson Staff Writer

Close does not cut it. But if it did, the Harvard women’s soccer team (2-4-2, 0-1 Ivy) would still be undefeated in Ivy League play. Instead, the Crimson came home from Rhodes Field on the short end of a 1-0 decision in its Ivy opener to Penn (2-4-1, 1-0- Ivy).

The Quakers’ sole tally of the contest came at 33:12 when Penn took a free kick at the top of the 18-yard box prompting a mad dash for possession deep inside the box. The ball scooted to Penn’s Katy Cross, who wasted little time before knocking home the game-winner.

“I got a hand on it and another defender got it, but we just couldn’t clear the ball out,” said junior goalkeeper Katie Shields. “Unfortunately one of their players was finally able to put it in. It was just kind of an unlucky bounce.”

Senior Rachelle Snyder was credited with the assist.

The goal was a cruel case of irony as Harvard had dominated up until that point, outshooting the Quakers 10-5 in the first half alone.

“We really did dominate in the beginning,” said senior forward Emily Colvin. “We had way more shots on goal. They just didn’t go in.”

Colvin led the Crimson in shots with four.

Harvard also had scoring opportunities with corner kicks. It had six chances from the corner in the first half compared with the Quakers’ zero.

But none of the shots fell, and the Crimson went scoreless for the second game in a row.

“We still dominated them, but that goal gave them a little more confidence,” said sophomore midfielder Katie Johnston. “It’s not like we just sat back. We still had plenty of chances to score again after that.”

After Penn’s goal though, the chances decreased. Each team only got three shots off in the second half.

“We just couldn’t seem to put our goal away and really take control of the game,” Shields said.

Shields recorded four saves while Quaker goalie Anna Halse hauled in eight. The Crimson outshot Penn 13-8 for the game.

It was Harvard’s fourth loss of the season, and the difference in all four has been one goal.

—Staff writer Carrie H. Petri can be reached at cpetri@fas.harvard.edu.

Women's Soccer