Investor Takes Museum Helm

Winthrop House alum to lead Boston science exhibits

By Jenny Tsai, Crimson Staff Writer

Richard M. Burnes Jr. ’63, was appointed as new chairman of the Board of Trustees at the Museum of Science in Boston, a post in he will serve for the next four years.

During that period, the venture capitalist said he hopes to attract an older demographic to the museum and will oversee a renovation and upcoming fundraising campaign.

While most Harvard students know the museum only as a former site of the annual CityStep dance, it is one of the country’s most renowned science museums, rated 16 on Zagat’s list of the “50 Overall Top-Rated Attractions” in the United States. Over 1.6 million people visit the more than 400 interactive exhibits the museum features each year.

Burnes, who lived in Winthrop House, said that being a history concentrator helped him realized the importance of the sciences.

“Studying history and understanding the changes in the way people think over time, really helps you understand why science museums are so important,” he said. “I really see the Museum of Science as an educator. I’ve spent my life in starting technically oriented companies, and I see how important science education is.”

Burnes said he believes the “key to understanding the world’s future will be in understanding science and numbers—numbers as a surrogate to science.” As chairman, he said one of his strategic long-range goals will be to encourage more college-age students and adults to attend the museum.

Ioannis Miaoulis, president and director of the museum, said he is very excited about Burnes’ appointment. “Rick Burnes was by far the unanimous choice by the nominating committee,” he said. “He’s energetic; he’s a visionary; he’s a passionate supporter of the museum’s mission and new direction; and he’s a pleasure to work with. He also brings amazing experience from his professional life and his work with nonprofit.”

While he has been busy helping to launch dozens of science and technology firms, Burnes said the museum has been a constant throughout his life. “I grew up going to the museum. I enjoyed taking my kids there, and now I enjoy taking my grandkids there.”

Burnes said he firmly believes that the “future of science museums is in hands-on education.”

In a museum press release, he cited the museum’s Computer Clubhouse, a place where children work with adult mentors to create computer-generated art, music and video, and its National Center for Technological Literacy, which was established to help integrate engineering into schools, as exemplary education programs.

Burnes, or “Rick” as he is commonly called, has stuck close to the Boston area for much of his life. He grew up in Framingham, Mass. He moved from Framingham to Cambridge for college. After Harvard, Burnes got his MBA from Boston University. In 1970, he co-founded Charles River Ventures, a successful venture capitalist firm. He is married to Nonnie S. Burnes, a judge in the Massachusetts Superior Court, and has three children.

The museum recently hosted hit exhibitions like “Einstein” and “The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy—the Exhibition.”

The museum is preparing for an upcoming special exhibit on Star Wars, which is scheduled to open in October.

—Staff writer Jenny Tsai can be reached at tsai3@fas.harvard.edu.