College's Establishment Of 'Fun Czar' Deserves Praise

By Zac Corker

After reviewing The Crimson’s December 17 staff editorial (“Social Life and Harvard Don’t Mix”), I have two thoughts:

(1) Harvard student life is, ultimately, the province of students. The Crimson and those students who are concerned about campus social life should applaud the administration’s considerable efforts this year to focus on encouraging students to broaden social activities—specifically including the posting for next year’s Campus Life Fellowship.

(2) Concerning the Fellowship posting, let’s be honest. No combination of salary, housing or delicious Harvard University Dining Services meals will be enough to attract someone interested in chasing that dolla’ or grabbing the first rung of the corporate ladder. Rather, the first Campus Life Fellow will be someone committed to helping to improve College life. The most valuable compensation will be a fascinating and rewarding yearlong experience.

The hunt is on. We will find that person. We will get that person. And if it is you we are looking for, then heed these three words:

Best. Job. Ever.

ZAC CORKER ’04

Dec. 19, 2004

The writer is the new special assistant to the dean for social programming.