RIAA Sues Three Harvard Network Users for Music Copyright Infringement in New Round of Law Suits

By Matthew S. Lebowitz, Crimson Staff Writer

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has filed 757 new copyright infringement lawsuits, including three against Harvard users, as part of its anti-music-piracy efforts, the organization announced late last month.

Defendants in the new round of litigation include 64 users of university networks including the three from Harvard, RIAA spokesperson Jenni R. Engebretsen said.

The lawsuits accuse all of the university-network defendants of using i2hub—a software program that allows users to upload and download files over the intercollegiate network Internet2—to illegally share copyrighted music.

“These lawsuits are part of our ongoing enforcement efforts, and part of our overall efforts to encourage students and music fans everywhere to turn to legal services” for downloading music, Engebretsen said.

The RIAA has sued a total of 18 Harvard network users since it began filing copyright infringement lawsuits for online file-sharing more than two years ago, according to Engebretsen. So far, 10 of those 18 cases have ended in out-of-court settlements. The most recent round of lawsuits marks the third time that RIAA litigation has targeted i2hub users.

Engebretsen said the case of MGM v. Grokster, decided by the United States Supreme Court in July, has ushered in a new “post-Grokster era” in the world of online file sharing.

“In the wake of the unanimous ruling by the United States Supreme Court in the Grokster case this summer, the message to both individuals and businesses alike is exceptionally clear,” she said. “Those who continue to engage in the online theft of music can be held accountable for their actions.”

In deciding the Grokster case, the Supreme Court ruled that those providers of file-sharing programs who encourage the use of their software for music piracy can be held responsible for their users’ copyright infringement.