Student Robbed Near Charles

Blocks east of Mather, undergraduate uninjured in iPod theft at knifepoint

By Reed B. Rayman, Crimson Staff Writer

A male Harvard undergraduate was the victim of an armed robbery early Thursday morning while walking on Memorial Drive near Akron Street, just blocks east of Mather and Dunster Houses, police said.

According to a community advisory released by the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD), the undergraduate reported to police that at around 2:00 a.m. on Thursday, two males approached him and demanded his iPod. One of the suspects displayed a knife before they took his iPod and fled up Akron Street.

HUPD is not releasing any more information about the victim, but he did not suffer injuries during the robbery, said HUPD spokesman Steven G. Catalano.

Since the incident did not take place on Harvard property, it is currently being investigated by the Massachusetts State Police.

“It’s fair to say that [the incident] is still under investigation and it’s something that we’ll continue to work on,” said Massachusetts State Trooper Thomas Ryan.

In an e-mail to Mather residents on Friday, Mather House Masters Leigh Hafrey and Sandra Naddaff and Allston Burr Senior Tutor Bradley Zakarin urged students to “use good judgment and take necessary precautions” when walking on the streets around Mather House. The e-mail also advised students of the recently-installed HUPD substation in the office wing of Mather House, which provides additional police presence.

Catalano also reminded students to take safety precautions.

“Whenever possible they should walk in groups, use [the Harvard University Campus Escort Program] or the escort van, and if people are walking alone, they should try to be vigilant of their surroundings by not talking on cell phones or using an iPod,” he said.

Several Mather residents said that the recent robbery didn’t make them particularly concerned about safety in the area.

“I haven’t really worried about [safety] this year,” said Nancy Chen ’07. “They’ve definitely increased security; I see policemen everywhere now.”

But, Chen added, “I feel like if you’re walking outside late at night, you probably shouldn’t be on your own.”

Evan K. Wilson ’06 said that he felt no different about safety than he had in past years.

“I feel the same I’ve felt for the past three years,” he said. “I’m really sorry for the person who was mugged, but there hasn’t been an astronomical increase in crime...I’m not worried yet.”

Wilson said that the victim of Thursday’s incident was correct to not try to resist the robbery.

“I think the person reacted appropriately,” he said. “An iPod costs what, $250 or $300? I’d pay that for my life.”

—Staff writer Reed B. Rayman can be reached at rrayman@fas.harvard.edu.