Tigers Can't Quite Catch Up to Bears

Princeton quarterback Jeff Terrell leaps over a pair of Brown defenders in the Tigers’ 31-28 loss to the Bears Saturday.
By Associated press

PROVIDENCE, R.I.—Joe DiGiacomo threw for 201 yards and three touchdowns, including a five-yarder to David Turner late in the third quarter, to give Brown a 31-28 win over Princeton on Saturday.

Brown’s Nick Hartigan ran for 245 yards and scored his school record 40th career touchdown on a 74-yard run in the first quarter. The previous record of 39 was set by Michael Malan from 1999 to 2001. Hartigan’s 245 yards was the second-best single-game performance in school history.

Princeton (3-2, 1-1 Ivy) trailed 24-7 early in the second quarter, but scored 21 unanswered points for a 28-24 lead midway through the third quarter.

DiGiacomo’s 36-yard touchdown pass to Lonnie Hill with 12:45 to play in the first half gave the Bears (4-1, 1-1) a 24-7 lead.

Jeff Terrell started the Tigers’ comeback with a two-yard pass to Jon Dekker at 9:36 of the third quarter. Ron Toresco scored on a two-yard run, then Terrell scored on a one-yard run at 8:22 of the third to give Princeton the lead.

Brown’s game-winning touchdown capped a nine-play, 81-yard drive. DiGiacomo completed 15-of-27 passes.

Terrell scored Princeton’s first touchdown in the first quarter when he recovered his own fumble in the end zone.

PENN 44, COLUMBIA 16

NEW YORK—Sam Mathews ran for 155 yards and two touchdowns and Penn defeated Columbia 44-16 on Saturday in the Quakers’ first game since the death of running back Kyle Ambrogi.

A crowd of 10,131 observed a moment of silence before the game for Ambrogi, who committed suicide Tuesday—a few days after playing one of the best games of his career at Penn.

Ambrogi’s younger brother, Greg, a sophomore defensive back, was not with the team.

Mathews gained 117 yards on 16 carries in the first half and scored on a pair of one-yard runs in the first quarter as the Quakers (4-1, 2-0 Ivy) built a 21-3 halftime lead.

Mathews said playing “was very therapeutic in a way, you might say. It was a way to let out a lot of emotion and a lot of sadness.”

Defensive back Casey Edgar was one of Ambrogi’s roommates.

“I was very close to Kyle,” Edgar said. “It’s good to get out on the field and have something else to think about.”

HOLY CROSS 28, DARTMOUTH 16

WORCESTER, Mass.—Steve Silva threw for a touchdown, rushed for another, and returned a punt for a third to lead Holy Cross to a 28-16 victory over Dartmouth on Saturday.

Silva’s 353 total yards eclipsed the school record set by Gil Fenerty, who gained 335 yards against Columbia in 1983.

Holy Cross (5-2) scored on its opening possession on a three-yard pass from John O’Neil to Gideon Akande at 5:41 of the first quarter. Silva found Sean Gruber on a three-yard halfback option pass to make it 14-0 at 14:27 of the second quarter.

Silva then scored on a one-yard run, and returned a punt 87 yards as time ran out in the first half.

Joshua Cohen threw a pair of fourth-quarter touchdown as Dartmouth (1-4) scored all its points in the fourth quarter. Cohen completed 25-of-44 passes for 290 yards, and two interceptions. He was sacked five times.

Silva rushed for 132 yards.

CORNELL 57, GEORGETOWN 7

ITHACA, N.Y.—Ryan Kuhn rushed for 85 yards and three touchdowns Saturday as Cornell beat Georgetown 57-7.

Kuhn also was 8-of-10 passing for 79 yards and another score, helping the Big Red offense pile up 323 total yards. A.J. Weitsman kicked two field goals.

Georgetown (3-4) was limited to just 86 yards and Cornell (3-2) led 29-0 by halftime.

Georgetown’s only score came at the end of the third quarter with a 23-yard touchdown pass from Ben Hostetler to Harrison Beacher.

Hostetler completed five of 13 attempts for 63 yards. Marcus Slayton rushed for 49 yards.

LEHIGH 28, YALE 21 (0T)

BETHLEHEM, Pa.—Eric Rath bulled into the end zone from the six-yard line early in overtime and Lehigh’s defense held on to give the Mountain Hawks a 28-21 win over Yale on Saturday.

After Rath opened the overtime with the touchdown run for Lehigh (4-2), the Mountain Hawks gave up a first down to the Bulldogs before forcing Yale’s Jeff Mroz into three straight incompletions to end the game.

With starting quarterback Mark Borda out with a leg injury, Lehigh sophomore Sedale Threatt threw a three-yard touchdown pass to Greg Fay with 4:42 remaining and tossed the two-point conversion pass to Pete Morelli to tie the game.

Yale (2-3) had a chance to win the game at the end of regulation, but Mroz was picked off in the endzone by defensive back Julian Ahye to send the game into overtime.

Borda threw for 333 yards and two touchdowns before leaving the game and Threatt completed all five passes he attempted in relief. Rath had 65 yards rushing for Lehigh.

Mroz finished 34-for-52 for 309 yards and three touchdowns—two to Todd Feiereisen—but also threw two interceptions.

Football