Building Stereotypes

And trying to break them down.

By Hebah M. Ismail

“I am a Muslim woman.”

“I believe my husband is the ultimate authority.”

“I think human rights are silly.”

“And I want to push Israel into the sea.”

This is the prevalent image of Muslim women in today’s Western society—an image that was prominently portrayed in last week’s Salient as an “advertisement” for the Fulla doll (the Middle East’s version of Barbie).

After the Salient printed its ad, I was approached (as a Muslim woman) by many students with the same question: “Does this doll really exist?” So, for the record: yes, the doll exists; no, it does not speak, especially not those phrases mentioned in the ad. Maybe the staff at the Salient thought their spoof would be funny, but more than anything else, it has helped to sustain misunderstanding and has deeply offended many students on campus.

In my three years here, I have always found Harvard to be a very welcoming place. The University is very clear about its non-discrimination policy: “The community must be a tolerant and supportive one, characterized by civility and consideration for others.” And for the most part, I have found it to be that way. Yet, when the Salient printed its ad, I was reminded that discrimination and harassment do indeed rear their ugly heads at Harvard.

One of the hardest things about being a minority is dealing with the pervasive stereotypes to which others subscribe. I have had to deal with this my whole life as a Muslim American. In order to combat these stereotypes, I have always striven to engage in dialogue with others and educate them about my values and beliefs. Many Muslims I know also strive for this, both on and off campus. This is hard in and of itself. Sometimes, a person’s preconceived notions about you cannot be corrected. But when stereotypes are actively promoted, it is almost impossible to properly inform others. In our society, people are bombarded on all sides with voices against Islam—such as the ad in the Salient—and hear few on its behalf. This makes it more likely that people will believe the stereotypes and see their Muslim friends as the exceptions to the rule instead of the rule.

The Salient’s decision also points to a deeper problem in today’s society: the double standard that exists regarding discrimination. Had this ad been about a Black doll or a Jewish doll and expounded stereotypes about “Black values” or “Jewish values,” it would have immediately been condemned. I doubt it would have even made it to print. But an ad that supposedly represents “Islamic values” is prominently displayed on the back cover of a Harvard publication for all to see. How far does our society have to come before discrimination in all its forms is unconditionally condemned?

All things Harvard are scrutinized by others all over the world. What type of message does this send about values at Harvard if a campus publication is so crass and disrespectful to a part of its own community—if a Harvard publication actively promotes negative (and false) stereotypes? For the sake of a tolerant community at Harvard, I urge the Salient to rescind its spoof advertisement and apologize for it. I also ask that students not be complacent in the face of such discrimination. Let us band together and strive to make this campus—and this world—welcoming to all.

Hebah Ismail ’06, a Crimson editorial editor, is a psychology concentrator in Eliot House.