Civil Rights Icon Parks Dies

By Madeline W. Lissner, Contributing Writer

Rosa Parks, the renowned civil rights icon, died of natural causes on Monday in her home in Detroit, Mich. She was 92.

When Rosa Parks refused to move, a whole movement began.

Park’s refusal to give up her seat to a white passenger on a Montgomery, Ala. bus sparked the influential 1960s civil rights movement. Her arrest in 1955 provoked the 381-day bus boycott in Montgomery, led by Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Following the boycott, the United States government instituted the 1964 federal Civil Rights Act, which banned racial discrimination in public spaces.

Parks has long been remembered in history as one of the pioneers in the civil rights movement. Although Parks was only a 42 year-old seamstress, her act is well-known by children and scholars alike.

“I actually cried when I saw the news [of Parks’ death]. Rosa Parks is one of those titanic heroines that is rare in human history, a woman who seems by all means and standards [to have] lived a life of exceeding integrity and humility,” said Timothy P. McCarthy ’93, a residential tutor in Quincy and lecturer in History and Literature and a coauthor of The Radical Reader, a book documenting the history of the American radical tradition.

McCarthy said that Parks will long be remembered as an example for how to live ones life on a daily basis.

“Rosa Parks represents the power that is inherent in each individual person to change society for the better,” said McCarthy. “It does not require a social movement to create social change.”

The nation recognized Park’s contribution to society in 1996 when she received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, an award to outstanding civilians, and in 1999 when she received the Congressional Gold Medal, the nation’s highest civilian honor. Her hometown of Detroit, Mich. also named a street in her honor.

“I think she’ll be remembered in many ways, perhaps most profoundly as an ordinary citizen who helped the nation take an extraordinary step to greater justice,” said Christopher Stone ’78, Guggenheim Professor of the Practice of Criminal Justice at the Kennedy School of Government.

Yesterday, President Bush recognized Roses’ contribution to American history and the 20th century.

Although the Harvard Black Students Association (BSA) said that they have not yet had an opportunity to discuss how they will commemorate Parks, they recognized her impact in history.

According to BSA Political Action Chair Chaz M. Beasley ’08, “I think Rosa Parks had a tremendous impact on the black community not only at Harvard but everywhere. She was one of the guiding lights and guiding forces in the civil rights movement.”

Later in her life, Parks devoted her attention to young people and developing their leadership qualities.

“She was such a beacon of faith and hope for young people who are struggling,” said McCarthy.