College Hockey Roundup

By Associated press

BOSTON—Chris Collins scored two goals and Brock Bradford netted winning goal as Boston College defeated Hockey East rival Providence 3-2 on Saturday.

Providence (3-3-0, 3-1-0 Hockey East) took a 1-0 lead on Kyle Laughlin’s goal at 9:30 of the opening period. Collins tied it at 1-1 at 11:48 of the second.

Collins’ second goal of the night gave BC (2-2-1, 1-1-1) a 2-1 lead just 19 seconds into the third period.

Providence tied the game at 2-2 on a goal from Nate Meyers at 1:56.

Bradford scored just 29 seconds later to give the Eagles the victory.

BC outshot the Friars, 38-22, including a 24-5 shot advantage in the second period.

MERRIMACK 5, RPI 3

TROY, N.Y.—Matt Johnson had a hat trick to lead Merrimack to a 5-3 win over RPI Saturday night.

Johnson’s power-play goal in the third period tied the game 3-3. Hank Carisio scored the game-winner four minutes later. Rob Ricci added an empty-net goal and two assists for the Warriors (3-3-0).

Johnson scored twice in the first period, but the Engineers (4-3-0) tallied goals by Mark Yurkewecz, Brad Farynuk and Kevin Croxton to take a 3-2 lead at 15:44 of the second period.

Merrimack’s Jim Healey had 22 saves, and Jordan Alford stopped 32 shots for RPI.

MAINE 4, UMASS 0

AMHERST, Mass.—The University of Maine shutout the University of Massachusetts 4-0 on Saturday.

Derek Damon, Rob Bellamy, Keenan Hopson and Jon Jankus had goals for Maine, while Matt Lundin had 31 saves for the shutout.

Overall, UMass (1-4-0, 0-2-0 Hockey East) was 0-for-7 on the power play, while Maine was 1-for-6. Shots were 39-31 in favor of the Black Bears (7-1-0, 2-0-0).

VERMONT 4, NIAGARA 2

LEWISTON, N.Y.—Chris Myers scored two goals to lead Vermont to a 4-2 win over Niagara on Saturday.

The Purple Eagles (3-3-0) got on the board first when Randy Harris fed Matt Caruana seven feet in front of the net for a goal 36 seconds into the game.

But the Catamounts (6-0-0) responded with Torrey Mitchell’s power-play goal six minutes later. Brady Leisenring added a goal in a five-on-four situation.

Harris tied the game for Niagara with a second-period goal.

But Myers scored on the power play three minutes later to give Vermont the lead for good. He had an empty-netter with 20 seconds remaining.

Vermont’s Travis Russell had 22 saves, while Jeff Van Nynatten made 39 saves for Niagara.

UNION 4, UMASS-LOWELL 3

LOWELL, Mass.—Kris Mayotte stopped 36 shots as Union beat the University of Massachusetts at Lowell 4-3 on Saturday night.

UMass-Lowell was up 2-0 with two first period goals. But Union (3-2-1) answered with four goals, and was up 4-2 until 12:55 in the third period, when Jeremy Hall scored on the power play.

Peter Vetri took the loss with 30 saves for UMass-Lowell (2-5-0).

UMASS-LOWELL 7, BU 4

LOWELL, Mass.—Mark Pandolfo had a hat trick, including an empty-net shot in the final second, to lead Massachusetts-Lowell to a 7-4 win over Boston University Friday night.

The River Hawks had five consecutive goals by Pandolfo, Jason Tejchma, Matt Walsh and Elias Godoy to make it 6-1, before the Terriers answered in the third period with scoring by Sean Sullivan, Brandon Yip and John Laliberte.

UMass-Lowell improved to 2-4-0 overall and 1-3-0 in Hockey East play. BU fell to 1-2-0 overall and 1-1-0 in the conference.

RPI 7, NORTHEASTERN 5

TROY, N.Y.—Kevin Croxton had a goal and four assists to lead RPI to a 7-5 win over Northeastern Friday night.

The Engineers (4-2-0) went ahead for good when Croxton helped set up Jonathan Ornelas’ goal in the third period. Just 44 seconds earlier, Matti Uusivitra’s score for the Huskies (0-3-1) tied the game at 5-5.

Northeastern jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first period with a pair of goals by Jimmy Russo and goals by Joe Vitale and Uusivitra.

In the second period, Ornelas and Chris Hussey scored before RPI tallied three goals in the final 5:38 to go up 5-4. Jake Morrisette, Oren Eizenman and Brad Farynuk got the goals.

Men's Ice Hockey