Despite disappointing season in the Ivies, Harvard earns three nominations in postseason awards.

By Pablo S. Torre, Crimson Staff Writer

Although the Harvard field hockey team (6-11, 2-5 Ivy) met a disappointing end in 2005, three Crimson players now have reasons to do a bit of postseason celebrating.

Captain midfielder Jen McDavitt was unanimously named first-team All-Ivy League this past week, while senior back Beth Sackovich and freshman goaltender Kelly Knoche were each awarded second-team status.

McDavitt paced Harvard this year with 12 points on four scores and four assists. The designation marks the second straight year she has been recognized among the Ancient Eight elite.

As a sophomore, she was named to the second-team, and as a freshman McDavitt was an honorable mention and Ivy League Rookie of the Year. She also received third-team All-America status as a junior.

The captain will graduate in June as the fifth-leading scorer in Crimson history with 63 points. Her marks of 20 career goals and 23 assists are good for ninth- and third-best all-time, respectively. McDavitt also owns the single-season record for helpers with 18, a league-leading total she established in 2004.

Sackovich, who helped anchor an at-times stellar Harvard backfield, is no stranger to distinction herself. The senior was second-team All-Ivy last year, as well.

Knoche was literally flawless within the cage to begin her collegiate career, recording four straight shutouts to lead the nation in goals-against average (GAA). Although the latter part of the season took its toll, she wrapped up 2005 with a 1.5 GAA and a .794 save percentage.

Princeton sophomore forward Paige Schmidt was selected Player of the Year.

—PABLO S. TORRE

Field Hockey