HARVARD BASKETBALL 2005-06: Rookies Bring Size, Skill to Revamped Rotation

By Julie R.S. Fogarty, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard women’s basketball team boasts five outstanding freshmen who will jockey for playing time during the 2005-2006 season. They bring size, athleticism, and impressive resumes, but they must adjust quickly to the collegiate game in order to contribute.

Emma Moretzsohn, a 6’7 post player from Downington, Pennsylvania, boasts strong post moves, outstanding size, and a soft touch that makes her a powerful offensive force.

“Emma has to transition to the Division-I game where there is more height than she is used to,” Delaney-Smith says. “If we can get her the ball where she wants it, there’s no one—I don’t care if it’s double or triple teams—that stops her.”

Liz Tindal, a 6’3 forward, brings strong post moves and the ability to finish.

“Liz can fight through anyone playing defense,” sophomore Adrian Budischak says. “She’s such a good, strong post to have on the floor, with her ability to finish and power it up.”

In the backcourt, the speed and ball-handling abilities of Emily Tay promise to make her a dynamic contributor. Delaney-Smith compares Tay to Allison Feaster ‘98, a three-time Ivy Player of the Year and a first-team All-American as a senior.

“Emily Tay might be one of the most exciting guards I’ll ever coach here,” Delaney-Smith says. “She has the ability to impact the game as a guard like Allison Feaster had as a forward. She’s that good.”

Adds Budischak, “Emily is an amazing ball player. She’s fun to play with because she’s so unselfish and good at finding the open player.”

Although Niki Finelli is currently out with a torn meniscus, her poise and maturity on the court may help her to a significant offensive role later in the season.

“Niki is a freshman who isn’t playing like a freshman,” Delaney-Smith says. “She’s an incredible athlete. For a three player, she has the height, quickness, speed, and athleticism that is a luxury at the three spot.”

Katie Rollins, out until December with a shoulder injury, has thus far impressed the coaches with her post moves and tenacity.

“Katie is very quick for a forward, and has strong, quick post moves,” Budischak says. Adds Delaney-Smith, “She’s an extremely talented player.”

—Staff writer Julie R.S. Fogarty can be reached at fogarty2@fas.harvard.edu.

PreviewsWomen's Basketball