Crimson sailors place near top of field in ISCA/Vanguard championships

By Daniel J. Rubin-wills, Crimson Staff Writer

While many Harvard students were flocking to New Haven for the weekend, Clay Johnson and Vince Porter had a somewhat nicer travel destination in mind. The pair flew to Honolulu, Hawaii, to participate in the men’s ISCA/Vanguard Singlehanded National Championship.

Porter and Johnson, both senior members of the Crimson co-ed sailing team, earned second- and fourth-place honors, respectively, out of 16 competitors. Johnson’s score of 81 placed him 17 points behind front-runner Andrew Campbell of Georgetown. Porter came in eight points behind his teammate with a score of 89.

Johnson and Porter each benefited from strong efforts in the second day of the event, which proved to be the final leg when impending bad weather cancelled any further racing. Both Harvard representatives finished out of the top five only once in the event’s second half, with Porter posting the lowest second-day score of just 17 points.

Also invited to compete in the tournament was team co-captain Sloan Devlin. Devlin, however, was unable to participate in the event, due to the fact that she had been selected as a Rhodes Scholarship finalist and had to remain in Boston for interviews.

—DANIEL J. RUBIN-WILLS

Sailing