Progressive Rep Hypes Senate Run

Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, urges HLS students to join his campaign

Congressman Sherrod Brown, D-OH, talked to Harvard Law School students
Saturday afternoon about progressive values and his campaign to unseat
two-term Republican Senator mike DeWine. The talk was sponsored by the
HLS Democrats.
Congressman Sherrod Brown, D-OH, talked to Harvard Law School students Saturday afternoon about progressive values and his campaign to unseat two-term Republican Senator mike DeWine. The talk was sponsored by the HLS Democrats.
By Paul G. Nauert, Contributing Writer

U.S. Representative Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, encouraged a group of students at Harvard Law School (HLS) to get involved with his progressive political vision for Ohio and the rest of the nation Saturday afternoon.

The informal speech and discussion—which was hosted by the HLS Democrats and drew about 20 students—came as part of Brown’s primary campaign for a U.S. Senate race in Ohio 2006.

Brown identified himself as an unapologetic progressive “ready to run a populist campaign and progressive agenda” and focused on the themes of economic renewal in Ohio, fair trade issues, and the revitalization of the state’s Democratic party.

“My election will show that an unabashed progressive can win the state,” Brown said, adding that his success in Ohio will further prove that “progressives everywhere can win office.”

After describing what he called the “great progress” of the 20th century in terms of the creation of social security, collective bargaining rights, and healthcare reform, Brown reaffirmed his support of “working families” and “regular people.” He decried the current administration and Congress as undoing much of this progress by enacting policies that aim to “weaken environmental laws, cut back social services, and fail to engage the world on poverty and disease.”

Brown also said he strongly opposes trade pacts such as the Central American Free Trade Agreement, and while in office, he has pushed for a renewed focus in economic policy on small domestic manufacturers, working people, and labor unions.

Brown said that his ability to “be specific, be assertive…and make choices clear” separates him from both his opponent in the Democratic primary, Paul Hackett, and the presumed Republican Senate candidate, Mike DeWine.

Brown urged audience members to support progressive ideals by getting involved in his Senate race. He lauded the group for their political engagement and described youth involvement as crucial to the health of democracy and progressive politics. Specifically, Brown cited young people as an important part of “the re-building of the Democratic party from the grassroots throughout Ohio.”

Brown was born in 1952 and received his bachelor’s degree from Yale College in 1974 and his master’s from Ohio State University in 1981. He was first elected to public office in 1975 as an Ohio State Representative. He then served as Ohio’s Secretary of State from 1982 to 1990. He was elected to the House in 1992, where he has served on the House Energy and the Health subcommittees.

Ryan H. Budish, a second year student at HLS, applauded Brown’s message on economic revitalization in Ohio and praised him as “a leader who is honest and has convictions.”

Lauren J. Popper, also an HLS student, said Brown was a politician who knows what he stands for.

“He knows why he is in politics and it is because he knows how government can help his state and community,” she said.