Majorly Secretive Secrets Revealed

Secret societies are forming within the student body. There are intrigues, trials, hookups going down at University Hall—secretly! But of
By FM Staff

Secret societies are forming within the student body. There are intrigues, trials, hookups going down at University Hall—secretly!

But of course, the best stories are from the past. Disciplinary action, social clubs, and all that jazz is now way out in the open and transparent, too-easy fodder for the intrepid reporter. So, FM turns to musty documents and yellowed photographs. Hey, they were once secret, which makes them über-fascinating public knowledge!

Because FM is just a library dork like that...we have culled the best of the best from the Harvard Archives, the Radcliffe Archives, the Crimson Archives, and the Lamont GovDocs section. Your university’s history—revealed:

1. Radcliffe Quad was once only populated by women! Yes, the rumors are true. Photos from the Radcliffe Archives confirm this little-known fact.

2. Conversely—Harvard Yard used to house only men.

3. The Ad Board used to discipline people. Oh. My. Goodness.

4. Have you heard of Mass. Hall? FM found records pointing to its existence in GovDocs. Apparently, knocking on the door three times and clicking your heels to the tune of “Ten Thousand Men of Harvard” would get you into Sexual Paradise.

5. The Charles River flows eastward. The Venn diagram, temperature charts, and topological maps from 1636 are just too convincing as evidence.

For The Moment