Must-See T.V. Not Quite Unmissable

Dancers’ different skill levels hamper presentation of

Dancers in the weekend  production “Primetime: Must-See T.V. Meets Can’t-Miss Choreography” recreate a Gap commercial.
Dancers in the weekend production “Primetime: Must-See T.V. Meets Can’t-Miss Choreography” recreate a Gap commercial.
By Marin J.D. Orlosky, Crimson Staff Writer

PRIMETIME

LOCATION: Lowell Lecture Hall

DATES: Dec.. 16-17

DIRECTORS: Tina M. Gonzalez ’07, Chrstine M. Fitzgerald ’07, and Abbey R. Wright ’07

With a title that paid homage to the NBC television “Must See TV” campaign, “Primetime: Must-See T.V. Meets Can’t-Miss Choreography” showcased the Mainly Jazz Dance Company and TAPS in an upbeat program featuring dance pieces set mostly to T.V. show theme songs. The inventive concept was fitting for a show that seemed to reflect the contents of current T.V. program line-ups, consisting of a few very well-done performances and many mediocre ones.

Although the program seemed to place equal weight on both dance groups, alternating pieces performed by TAPS with those by Mainly Jazz, it makes sense to evaluate the dance troupes separately. The sheer number of participants detracted from many of the larger group pieces performed by Mainly Jazz. In fact, the dancers’ different skill levels and expertise in dance techniques handicapped the performance of well-choreographed sections that were supposed to be performed in unison.

Frustratingly, much of the choreography was repetitive—both within each piece and throughout the entire evening, leaving me to wonder at some points how much of each dance would be left if all of the hip circles and shimmies were cut out. In particular, the performance of “Mission: Impossible,” choreographed by Christine M. Fitzgerald ’07, was underwhelming due to the tricks and high leg extensions required of some dancers who seemed incapable of their satisfactory execution.

The single exception to these technical problems was the piece set to the theme song from “Six Feet Under” and Dave Matthews Band’s “Gravedigger.” Commendably choreographed by local dance teacher and choreographer Stephanie Heroux, this lyrical jazz piece put all others to shame with its flawless simplicity. Unfortunately, the grace and skill displayed in this dance made their absence in Mainly Jazz’s other pieces even more noticeable.

The pieces performed by TAPS generally fared better than those by Mainly Jazz. Choreographer Tina M. Gonzalez ‘07 was particularly notable for her inventive use of witch hats as both costume pieces and props in her rendition of “Bewitched.” Also impressive was the impeccably timed percussive tapping in the six-person performance accompanied by the theme song from “C.O.P.S.” and “Smooth Criminal” by Michael Jackson.

Another highlight of the evening’s performance was “Commerical Break,” a short series of dances set to music from commercials. TAPS served up a delightfully cheesy Mentos commercial and a well-executed Gap Khakis piece, while Mainly Jazz delivered solid performances in their renditions of an iPod commercial and an intricate, high-energy Pepsi commercial featuring the gymnastic feats of Elizabeth C. McKenna ’08.

Both groups benefited from appropriately selected costumes, especially Mainly Jazz’s opening piece set to Lenny Kravitz’s “Lady” (the “Alias” theme song) and the TAPS presentations of “Nickelodeon Medley” and “Linus & Lucy & Sex in the City.” Lighting by Adam W.B. Roben ’06 artfully accentuated the mood of each piece.

Despite the show’s unevenness, several individual dancers stood out throughout the course of the evening. Micaela B. Owusu ’07 should be commended for her masterful performance in numerous TAPS pieces, and Jeffrey A. Barnet ’06 and Brady G. Williams ’06 were amusing in their roles as Batman and Robin in the show’s finale. Perhaps the “Primetime” program did not live up to its “Must See” billing, but the choreography and skill of a few dancers certainly allowed the show to be entertaining.

—Staff writer Marin J.D. Orlosky can be reached at orlosky@fas.harvard.edu.