Bagels Fit for a King

You won’t find cucumber sandwiches in Annenberg, but bagels fit for the Ritz? No problem. East End Bagels, HUDS’ new
By Diane M. Nguyen

You won’t find cucumber sandwiches in Annenberg, but bagels fit for the Ritz? No problem.

East End Bagels, HUDS’ new supplier, is also the provider to the Ritz and Four Seasons hotels in Boston. The new carrier fills a conspicuous void left by nationwide vendor Finagle-A-Bagel.

“I think this whole thing is a shame. A goddamn shame,” remarks Max C. Nicholas ’05.

Are students being systematically deprived of name-brand breakfast staples? Au contraire. HUDS claims the switch is merely a response to Finagle’s recent withdrawal from the whoYou won’t find cucumber sandwiches in Annenberg, but bagels fit for the Ritz? No problem.

Are students being systematically deprived of name-brand breakfast staples? Au contraire. HUDS claims the switch is merely a response to Finagle’s recent withdrawal from the wholesale business. In naming a successor, HUDS specifically sought a local provider in order to support Massachusetts’ commerce while ensuring fresh, quality bagels. They care about us!

East End, a family-owned company from Ipswich, Mass., is no stranger to college life; it serves Boston University, Emerson and Berklee Colleges. Owner John Goulos credits his success in part to the company’s ability to develop edgy new flavors alongside traditional ones.

Purists at Harvard can feast on the classics—plain, poppy, cinnamon raisin, et al—while the more adventurous can sink their teeth into a daring new addition: the “French Toast” bagel. Fringe favorites like veggie, multigrain, and chocolate chip remain, too, though under the aliases “chunky vegetable,” “honey grain,” and, well, “triple chocolate chip.”

Given proper demand, Harvard students may look forward to other unique East End offerings, including Spinach-Feta, Cranberry-Orange, or “Energy Bar”—a college campus favorite combining apples, raisins, honey, and seven different grains, Goulos says. That’s right: get to class awake—no coffee needed.