Schier Joins Harvard Faculty from NYU

Biologist will continue zebrafish research in Cambridge starting in July

By Parag K. Gupta, Contributing Writer

Harvard College is adding some backbone to its molecular and cellular biology (MCB) department.

Alexander F. Schier, a developmental biologist known best for his work tracking the development of vertebrae in zebrafish will join the department beginning July 1, 2005.

“Professor Schier’s enthusiasm for new ideas, inventive studies of zebrafish genetics and insightful analysis of his results place him at the forefront of developmental biology,” Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences William C. Kirby said in a statement. “He is highly regarded as an inspiring educator of undergraduate and graduate students.”

Schier comes from New York University’s (NYU) Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, where his colleagues say his absence will be felt.

“This is a big loss for NYU and a big recruit for [Harvard],” Professor of Cell Biology and Neurology Jim L. Salzer said of Schier’s move. “He was an important part of our success. He brought us national and international prominence and leaves a large hole.”

Schier, who will teach both undergraduate and graduate classes, as well as continuing his vertebrate research, said he looks forward to joining the MCB department.

“[Harvard University] is one of the most intellectually stimulating environments, from arts to sciences and everything in between,” Schier said.

He also said some parts of his research may be easier to conduct in Cambridge, since Harvard’s facilities are “bigger and more efficient.”

Schier’s new colleagues said that his research will fit in well with the department.

“He is one of the leading experts in genetic analysis of developmental models and strengthens our ability to be a center for analysis of complex vertebrate models,” said Baird Professor of Science Andrew P. McMahon, who specializes in developmental biology. “He is very sharp, analytic, engaged, and invigorating. [Harvard] should expect a great professor.”

Schier’s research topics transcend traditional academic divisions, and he comes to Harvard at a time when interdisciplinary work is strongly encouraged.

“His research at the intersection of genetics, developmental biology, and neurobiology will help forge important new connections with the Division of Engineering and Applied Sciences and Harvard Medical School,” the press release stated.

Schier focuses his research on zebrafish because they present the complexity of vertebrate organisms, while offering the benefits of clear embryos and rapid maturation, making their development easier to study, he said.

“I start with the basic problem of how to go from fertilized eggs—one cell—to livng organisms with millions of cells,” Schier said.

Now, Schier is trying to determine how cells interact, allowing organisms to organize their physical development properly—“so that the head is where the head should be and feet where the feet should be.”

Schier specifically looks at the genetics of mutant zebrafish, studying what genes are missing in the mutant fish and seeking to relate these genes to particular functions.

Though Schier said his current work does not involve stem cell research, he added that he may want to expand into this area in coming years.

“I don’t work with stem cells at the moment,” Schier said. “But one of the attractions of Harvard is doing stem cell research with [Harvard Stem Cell Institute Co-director] Doug[las] Melton.”

Schier is optimistic about the future of the developmental biology department.

“[The department] is getting stronger and stronger,” Schier said. “I hope it will continue to grow because development touches everything in biology.”