Armenian Leaders Look to Future

By David Zhou, Contributing Writer

Analyzing the current economic situation in Armenia with an emphasis on future growth strategies, government officials from Armenia and executive board members of an Armenian diaspora organization participated in an all-day summit at the Kennedy School of Government yesterday.

Lawrence University Professor at Harvard Business School Michael E. Porter also spoke at the event, entitled “The Global Summit on the Future of Armenia.” The Foreign Minister of Armenia, Vartan Oskanian, was scheduled to speak, but did not attend after contracting pneumonia, according to Belfer Center Communications Officer Sharon R. Wilke.

Vahram Nercissiantz, the chief economic advisor to Armenian President Robert Kocharian, spoke with The Crimson after the summit to discuss a number of the country’s important political and economic issues. Three board members from Armenia 2020—an organization that studies development in Armenia—also participated in an interview.

“[The summit] presents a visionary review and analysis of the Armenian political and economic transition,” Nercissiantz said. “Lots of analytical work was done on what are policy options and strategic directions.”

The summit, which touched on domestic issues that confront today’s Armenian leaders, was hosted by the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs. The event was co-sponsored by Armenia 2020 and the Armenian General Benevolent Union, which sets up programs to promote Armenian culture.

The press conference following the summit also focused on tensions with Turkey, which Nercissiantz said stem in large part from the Turkish government’s continuing refusal to recognize the genocide perpetrated against Armenians after the First World War.

“We have a rage for that genocide which is still with us,” Nercissiantz said. “The Turks have a responsibility to face their own history.”

Noubar B. Afeyan, an Armenia 2020 executive board member, said that Turkey’s economic sanctions are “because of Armenian pressure for recognition of the genocide.”

Nercissiantz said fears of another genocide prompted the conflict with Azerbaijan, a neighboring nation that has been involved in a dispute over territory with Armenia.

“This fits into the pattern of an ideology which has existed in the region called Pan-Turkism,” he said. “It is very similar to Nazi ideology where they wish to eliminate all non-Turkish elements.”

Nercissiantz said that genuine peace between the three countries depends on the development of liberal democracy because “citizens never vote to eliminate an element of their society.”

While Turkey is widely hailed as a triumph of democracy in the region, Nercissiantz said, the government must do more to protect minority rights.

Armenia has been moving toward both a liberalized political system and economy, he said. The country has enjoyed high rates of growth throughout the 1990s and joined the World Trade Organization in 2003.

The country’s economy collapsed along with the former Soviet Union, has been playing catch-up ever since, and is now approximately back to its 1989 level, said Andrew Mkrtchyan, another executive board member of Armenia 2020.

“Our approach has been growth with equity, assist a good business environment and invest in people,” Nercissiantz said. “We do have considerable progress, but we have a long way to go.”