Laws Wins ABHW Presidential Election, Promises To Increase Cooperation With Other Women's Groups

By Victoria Kim, Crimson Staff Writer

Nicole M. Laws ’06 and Tania R. Clerisme ’07 were elected yesterday to lead the Association of Black Harvard Women (ABHW) in its 30th year.

The two were elected as president and vice president in last night’s elections, which were not as highly contested as last year’s, according to Alecia J. McGregor ’06, who oversaw the election. Four of the nine board positions were uncontested.

Laws said she aims to “bring [ABHW’s] sisterhood and sense of community to the greater Harvard community” in her tenure as president.

Building on its presence in the black community, Laws said ABHW will work towards its goals as a women’s organization by cooperating with other women’s groups in the coming year.

The women running for board positions were “infused with energy for taking the organization to the next level,” McGregor said, referring to the candidates’ speeches, which were followed by a question-and-answer session and three minute deliberations.

Also elected to the board were Amara A. Omeokwe ’08 as secretary, Ifunanya H. Ejebe ’07 as treasurer, Brittany N. Castaneda ’07 as publicity chair, Nicole M. Brown ’08 as community service chair, Kaya N. Williams ’07 as action committee chair, Natasha S. Alford ’08 as alumni representative and public relations chair, and Ashton R. Lattimore ’08 as social chair.