Museum Appoints Executive Director

Werby ’72 will oversee Harvard Museum of Natural History’s public exhibits

By Adam M. Guren, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard Museum of Natural History (HMNH)­—which displays 21 million specimens from Harvard’s research museums to the public—has appointed Elisabeth A. Werby ’72 as its new executive director. Werby will oversee all of HNMH’s public exhibits and programs, beginning this July.

Werby’s appointment comes after a search that began last summer when the HMNH hired a professional search firm to find a new director.

She is replacing Leah MacIntosh, who serves as an interim director.

The HMNH advisory board chair, James Hanken, said that Werby stood out from a strong field of candidates.

After several rounds of interviews, Hanken, who is also professor of biology and Agassiz Professor of Zoology, said that “Elizabeth Werby emerged as our unanimous first choice and we are thrilled that she decided to come here.”

A Boston area native, Werby lived in Winthrop House and concentrated in anthropology. She worked as a lawyer before joining the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH) in New York.

Werby said in a press release that she has been impressed with the museum.

“The HMNH is in a unique position to enhance public understanding of the natural world and our place in it,” she said. “The Museum has made tremendous strides in expanding its impact and outreach over the past several years. I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to build on this momentum.”

Werby was unavailable for comment for this story.

Werby is currently the senior director of government relations and strategic project development at the AMNH. Her job involves managing exhibits and programs, working with scientists and serving as a liaison between the AMNH and state and local governments.

“[Werby] is extremely well regarded at the AMNH, which is why it is very sad to lose her,” Hanken said.

A decade ago, the HMNH was organized to display the collections of Harvard’s three natural history research libraries—the Harvard University Herbaria, the Museum of Comparative Zoology, and the Mineral and Geological Museum.

The HMNH houses and exhibits Harvard’s famous glass flowers and collection of dinosaur fossils. It also coordinates trips around the world led by Harvard researchers.

—Staff writer Adam M. Guren can be reached at guren@fas.harvard.edu.