NHL Players’ Union Leader, A Former Harvard Hockey Captain, Resigns; Accepted Salary Caps in Bargaining

By Rebecca A. Seesel, Crimson Staff Writer

Bob Goodenow ’74, a former Harvard hockey captain, resigned yesterday from his position at the helm of the National Hockey League Player’s Association (NHLPA).

Goodenow, who led the union for the past 14 years, played a central role in negotiating the NHL’s new collective bargaining agreement that ended the lockout that cancelled the 2004-2005 season.

He will be succeeded by Ted Saskin, who is currently the NHLPA’s senior director of business affairs and licensing.

Born in Detroit, Mich., Goodenow got his start on the ice by playing junior hockey before attending Harvard. After earning second-team All-ECAC honors as the squad’s captain in 1974, he enjoyed a brief stint in the International Hockey League before turning to the University of Detroit Law School.

Soon afterwards Goodenow became a player agent—representing, among others, Brett Hull—and eventually wound up with the NHLPA during the early 1990s. Goodenow took over the union in 1992, when then-director Alan Eagleson was forced out due to scandals that eventually landed him in jail.

Meanwhile, the players implemented a 10-day strike just before that season’s Stanley Cup playoffs—one of the first signs of Goodenow’s drastic regime change.

While Eagleson was known for buddying up with owners, Goodenow remained staunchly loyal to the league’s players. During his 15 years, the average NHL salary soared from less than $300,000 to nearly $2 million.

During this past season’s lockout, Goodenow vowed never to accept a salary cap. However, the final agreement, ratified last week, included a cap tied to league revenues.

It is thought that many players were unhappy with that aspect of the settlement, though they approved the package convincingly.

Goodenow and league commissioner Gary Bettman also presided over a 103-day lockout during the 1994-1995 campaign.

Goodenow had three years remaining on his current contract.

—REBECCA A. SEESEL

Men's Ice Hockey