Scherf wins Meet of Champions; W. Cross Country finishes seventh

By Andrew R. Moore, Crimson Staff Writer

Lindsey Scherf proved she hasn’t missed a beat since finishing 10th at the US Track and Field Championships this summer. The sophomore won her first meet of the new cross country season, the 11th Annual Iona College Meet of Champions, in 21:19.3 at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx.

Scherf’s performance on Saturday was followed by strong showings from a trio of sophomores. Sarah Bourne finished the 6K course 24th overall with a time of 22:50.1, Eliza Gardiner finished in 23:28.7, and Lauren Walker finished in 23:31.5. Freshman Tara Bryant closed out the scoring for the Crimson, crossing in 23:52.0.

These performances placed Harvard seventh in a highly competitive meet that saw Ivy League teams take five of the top seven positions in the 23-team field.

Last year at this meet, Scherf broke onto the scene with a fourth-place finish in her first collegiate competition, leading the team to a sixth-place finish.

This year, the men’s team placed eighth out of a competitive field that featured 11-time national champion and perennial powerhouse No. 3 Arkansas and the hosting No. 6 Gaels.

Harvard sophomore Ryan Hafer led the Crimson with a time of 25:41.8 and a 24th-place finish. Junior Sean Barrett finished 43rd in 25:55.1, while sophomore Brian Holmquest ended the day 53rd overall with a time of 26:05.2.

Juniors Peter Mullen and Kevin Lyons crossed the line in 26:32.3 and 26:52.1, respectively.

Iona senior Richard Kiplagat won the 8K race in 23:54.4, followed by an overpowering Razorback pack sweeping places 2-6 for a remarkable score of 20 points.

This coming weekend, the cross country teams travel to New Haven for a meet at Yale and for the women, a tri-meet featuring No. 18 Princeton.

—ANDREW R. MOORE

Track and Cross Country