Glazer Bids Adieu to Council

Dressed with respect, members of the Undergraduate Council surround former UC President Matthew J. Glazer ’06 at his final UC meeting yesterday.  Glazer was crowned with laurel before reflecting on his term in a farewell speech.
Dressed with respect, members of the Undergraduate Council surround former UC President Matthew J. Glazer ’06 at his final UC meeting yesterday. Glazer was crowned with laurel before reflecting on his term in a farewell speech.
By Alexander D. Blankfein, Crimson Staff Writer

Undergraduate Council (UC) President Matthew J. Glazer ’06 adjourned the final council meeting of his tenure on Saturday evening to a standing ovation from council members and friends.

The meeting was more festive than usual. Although a request over the UC’s e-mail list to have cocktails before the event went unanswered, members ceremoniously popped the corks of several champagne bottles during the evening’s farewell speeches.

About a dozen of Glazer’s friends and blockmates wore pink “Viva el Presidente” t-shirts with Glazer’s face printed on the front, and former UC representative E.E. Keenan ’07, sporting coattails, placed laurel wreaths on Glazer’s and UC Vice President Clay T. Capp’s ’06 heads.

In his last speech as president, Glazer reflected on the council’s accomplishments during his tenure.

“In many ways, we inherited an organization that was broken and insufficient a year ago,” said Glazer. “Over the last year, Clay and I have devoted a long time to fixing our own house, because once we fix our house, we can devote our time to advocating for students.”

Glazer and Capp have collaborated since May, after former Vice President Ian W. Nichols ’06 resigned amid speculation that he was forced out. Capp, Glazer’s original running mate, replaced Nichols in a special election.

Some reforms Glazer oversaw last semester included a constitutional reform package, creating a treasury board, and reorganizing the structure of the council’s three committees.

In November, Glazer and Capp proposed a constitutional amendment that would dissolve the Campus Life Committee and replace it with a directly-elected autonomous Social Events Committee (SEC) that would oversee campus-wide social programming.

The proposed amendment came after the cancellation of a Wyclef Jean concert cost the UC at least $25,000.

But the amendment was sent back to committee in December after a divisive presidential election that may signal a new direction on social programming.

Shortly after the UC election, UC President-elect John S. Haddock ’07 acknowledged that although there are “occasional and infrequent opportunities for the campus to come together for a cause, show, or campus event,” social life should be “found in Houses, groups, and the consistent programming of a permanent pub.”

A revised version of the SEC amendment is expected to be presented to the full council in March.

Although neither Glazer nor Capp mentioned the amendment on Saturday, their remarks hinted at their desire that the council work toward a solution to the social planning debate.

“We are on a good trajectory, but we are not at the top of the hill yet,” said Capp. “In order for long-term success and viability, we need to come to a satisfactory conclusion quickly.”

Glazer also emphasized the need for the council to continue to change.

“We are a government, not a student group, and we should adapt when necessary,” said Glazer.

Glazer then waxed reflective on the job that has eaten up his Sunday evenings for the last three-and-a-half years.

“This job is really a privilege,” said Glazer. “My job...all of your jobs. Every day that we are meeting with administers trying to make this school better—not only for us but also for students who haven’t yet walked through Johnston Gate—is an honor.”

And Capp, with his trademark sense of humor, displayed his fondness for his partner at the end of his speech.

“I’ve been very lucky to have had professional intercourse with him,” said Capp before turning to Glazer. “I just want to say, ‘Matt, awesome.’”

—Staff writer Alexander D. Blankfein can be reached at ablankf@fas.harvard.edu.