Yale Tops Harvard In Sex Survey

By Madeline M.G. Haas, Contributing Writer

Sex is better at Yale. Or, at least, it’s safer. According to a recent survey conducted by Trojan Brand Condoms, Harvard lags behind other colleges in availability of sexual health resources.

The Trojan Sexual Health Report Card, which covered 100 colleges in 50 states, ranked Harvard 43rd with a “GPA” of 2.1, while Yale topped the list with a perfect 4.0.

Harvard received a C for HIV and STD testing and failed in two categories: condom availability and sex advice column in a campus publication.

Contraception advice and availability won Harvard its only A, leaving Bs for the remaining three categories—health services website, sexual assault counseling, and peer counseling and outreach events.

Condoms have long been available for free at University Health Services (UHS) and in upperclassmen houses. UHS and the student-run Community Health Initiative began providing free condoms to freshmen last May, before the Trojan survey results were published. Harvard, however, still received an F in this category.

“In Canaday, at least, I never actually saw a condom in our condom box. They have some restocking issues,” said Marianna B. Tu ’09. “I think people are too lazy to go to UHS.”

Harvard’s Peer Contraceptive Counselors could not be reached for comment yesterday.

The survey, administered last year between February and May, was conducted by Trojan Brand Condoms and Sperling’s Best Places, a survey firm.