Dems Hit Trail in Key(Stone) State

By Sonam S. Velani, Contributing Writer

Clipboards in hand, the Harvard College Democrats flocked to Pennsylvania in an effort to tip the scales in two upcoming tightly-contested midterm races.

The Dems were out in full force last weekend campaigning for the state’s treasurer, Democrat Bob Casey Jr. in his battle against incumbent Republican Senator Rick Santorum.

The group also canvassed for votes for Lois E. Murphy ’84 in her bid to unseat Republican Congressman Jim Gerlach.

The 37 students—who made their road trip to Pennsylvania in five vans and one car—spent their weekend ringing doorbells, speaking to constituents, and answering questions on behalf of Casey and Murphy. They canvassed highly-sought-after demographic groups, including young adults and Philadelphia suburbanites.

The Dems were also helping plan large-scale fundraising events for both candidates, which will include appearances by former President Bill Clinton and Sen. Barack H. Obama, D-Ill., a 1991 Harvard Law School grad.

NOT PRO-CHOICE, BUT THE DEMS’ CHOICE

Casey’s controversial stance supporting anti-abortion laws does not alter the Dems’ support of him, according to the group’s president, Eric P. Lesser ’07.

“It’s a case by case and race by race basis,” said Lesser. “We do not litmus test candidates and we look at each race in the context of the issues each candidate stands for,”

The latest Muhlenberg College poll, released yesterday, showed Casey leading Santorum 46 percent to 41 percent, but the tables can turn very quickly in this swing state.

“This has been identified as one of the most competitive races in the country, and we’re doing our part to help,” Lesser said.

Even if the nation’s other Senate races are won by the incumbent party, a Democratic victory in the Keystone state would lead to a tie in the Senate, with 50 seats for each party.

“We hope our intense, long hours will pay off,” said Lesser.

PHILLY-ING THEIR BELLIES

Between the phone-calls and the doorbells, the students were also able to do some sight-seeing, such as visiting the Liberty Bell, indulging in delicious Philly cheesesteak sandwiches, and bowling with the campaign staffs.

“It was a good bonding experience, especially when we kept getting lost for extended periods of time trying to get to these places,” said Jordan G.E. Lee ’07.