Johnson, Kovacs Secure Nationals Berths

<font size=2>
<p>The No. 3 Harvard sailing team produced mixed results this past weekend. The Crimson performed well in the New England Intercollegiate Sailing Association Singlehanded Championship, as co-captain Clay Johnson and junior Kyle Kovacs place
<font size=2> <p>The No. 3 Harvard sailing team produced mixed results this past weekend. The Crimson performed well in the New England Intercollegiate Sailing Association Singlehanded Championship, as co-captain Clay Johnson and junior Kyle Kovacs place
By Malcom A. Glenn, Crimson Staff Writer

A trip to nationals was on the line this week for a few sailors of the No. 3 Harvard sailing team, as the Crimson sailed in three team regattas and sent three of its men to Bristol, R.I., to attempt to qualify for nationals in the New England Intercollegiate Sailing Association (NEISA) Singlehanded Championship.

It was just another day on the water for co-captain Clay Johnson and junior Kyle Kovacs, as the pair took first and second, respectively, at the NEISA Championship to secure their places at nationals later in the year. The top four spots received automatic berths at the competition, but there was never much doubt that Johnson and Kovacs would make the cut. Johnson’s 32 points were 20 less than Kovacs at 52, while the next closest sailor, Roger Williams University’s Cy Thompson, clocked in at 71. Matt Barry of Yale finished with 73 points, rounding out the top four.

“I was really pleased with how I sailed,” Johnson said of his performance. “I’ve finished third and second twice [at nationals], so hopefully the fourth time will be the charm.”

Freshman Drew Robb also competed in the event, coming in at seventh-place in the 29-man field. It proved to be arguably Harvard’s best performance of the year midway through the fall season. The berth is especially sweet for Kovacs, who qualified as a freshman but missed the cut a year ago.

“I’m really excited that he’s going to be alongside me at nationals,” Johnson said.

METRO SERIES FIVE

Sunday’s Boston University No Ringer Invite was cancelled, leaving many of Saturday’s Metro Series Five with a rare one-regatta weekend. Nine teams competed in this week’s Metro Series, with MIT and Roger Williams taking top honors in the races. The Crimson sailed its way to a third-place finish thanks to an identical third-place day from the A-division team of senior skipper Robert McIntosh and a newcomer at crew, freshman Michelle Konstadt. The B-division saw senior skipper Marion Guillaume and freshman crew Kerry Anne Bradford take fourth place overall. It was Harvard’s second third-place Metro Series finish of the fall, after the Crimson took third in the Metro Series One four weeks ago.

HAP MOORE TEAM RACE

The United States Coast Guard Academy hosted the Hap Moore Team Race on Saturday and Sunday, and in a somewhat unconventional points system, Harvard finished in last place out of 12 teams, winning only one of its 16 races of the weekend.

St. Mary’s took the top spot, with Dartmouth, Yale, Connecticut College, and Roger Williams rounding out the top five.

Sophomores Andrew Flynn, Jon Garrity, Megan Watson, and Lauren Brants competed for the Crimson along with seniors Ashley Nathanson and Christina Dahlman.

A disappointing Harvard effort gave the team its third-lowest finish of the season and its first last-place performance.

MOSBACHER-KNAPP TROPHY

Bragging rights were on the line at Princeton University, as the Crimson sailed at sailing’s Ivy League Championship over the weekend.

Although only Harvard, Yale, and Dartmouth were ranked in the poll’s most recent rankings, Penn proved king on these days, taking first-place in the Ancient Eight field.

Dartmouth and Yale finished second and third, while Columbia edged out Harvard for fourth. Following the Crimson in fifth place were Brown, Cornell, and host Princeton.

Sophomores Roberta Steele and Christina Cordeiro sailed for the Crimson, but while Ivy League bragging rights were on the line, the most important news of the weekend was still the success at the singlehandeds.

“This is the New England championships, so it’s great to win,” Johnson said of his and Kovacs’ accomplishments. “We’re excited about it, and we’re happy overall.”

—Staff writer Malcom A. Glenn can be reached at mglenn@fas.harvard.edu.

Sailing