Movie Review: "Little Children"

By Christopher C. Baker, Crimson Staff Writer

4.5 Stars

Two thirtysomethings in a conservative community act like “Little Children” in the aptly titled new film from writer/director Todd Field. A hit at the Toronto Film Festival and a surefire bet in this year’s Oscar race, this film is anything but childish.

Kate Winslet stars as a desperate housewife, Sarah Pierce, who feels misunderstood by other stay-at-home moms, her husband, and even her daughter. One hot summer day at the playground, the moms fawn over the lone stay-at-home dad—Patrick Wilson, best known for his role as a closeted Mormon in HBO’s “Angels in America”—whom they have dubbed “The Prom King” for his All-American good looks and athleticism. To the shock of other moms, Sarah approaches him and engages him in witty banter.

The Prom King, whose real name is Brad, stays at home with his son while his equally attractive wife (Jennifer Connelly, in a surprisingly small role) supports the family. Brad has failed the bar exam twice and is studying to take it for the third and final time. Brad and Sarah’s connection leads them to momentarily kiss, lighting a match to a flame neither can put out.

Meanwhile, the town community is up in arms over a convicted pedophile (played by Jackie Earle Haley) who was just released from prison and who has taken up residence with his mother. At first, this subplot seems curious, but co-writers Field and Tom Perrotta—who also wrote the novel on which the movie is based—tie it all together. The film grips as it closely examines the state of our American suburban culture from the inside out.

“Little Children” is Field’s first since 2000’s electrifying “In the Bedroom,” but he isn’t repeating himself here by making yet another middle class, suburban infidelity tale that ends violently. In fact, “Little Children” is hilarious at times, like when the narrative breaks to describe how much hotter Jennifer Connelly is compared to Kate Winslet.

The subject matter is heavy, but the characters can be so quirky and the narrator’s non-judgmental explanation of their lives so deadpan, that it’s a perfect blend between the seriousness of “Bedroom” and the satirical tone of Alexander Payne’s adaptation of another Perrotta novel, “Election.” Perotta’s book is obsessed with detail, fleshing out every facet of these twisted characters, and Field attempts the same in the film.

Winslet masterfully tackles her challenging role, as she has most recently with “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” and “Iris.” It’s amazing that she hasn’t won an Academy Award yet, and this could be her year. When watching this film, it feels like it was made for a Best Actress Nomination montage. Though Winslet’s star shines bright, the film’s imagery and allegory make it an all around first-rate picture.

Bottom Line: In a very crowded season for Oscar-worthy movies, “Little Children” might be the indie darling.

Reviewer Christopher C. Baker can be reached at ccbaker@fas.harvard.edu.