College Revels in Festival of Lights

Indian New Year celebration features festive dining hall meal

By K. blair Harshbarger, Contributing Writer

Harvard students and administrators spiced up Diwali this year with a festive meal in the dining halls and a new prayer space in the Yard.

Bright lights, song, and celebration will feature in the festivities as students celebrate the Hindu festival Diwali, also known as the “festival of lights,” next week. One of the most popular and eagerly awaited religious festivals in India, Diwali is celebrated at Harvard through a host of celebratory events.

Diwali marks the Indian New Year and commemorates the return of the legendary King Rama from exile. The entire celebration lasts for five days and usually falls in late October and November.

Harvard University Dining Services (HUDS) started off the Diwali celebrations this week with a traditional Indian dinner on Friday. HUDS typically hosts three “festive meals” throughout the year, but this is the first time that Indian food has been featured. Crista Martin, a HUDS spokesperson said that HUDS selected the meal based on student survey indicating that students really enjoy Indian food.

Martin said that the meal is related to the Food Literacy Project, a mission of HUDS to bring students “closer to their food.”

“Food is very much at the heart of community, and at Harvard in particular there are so many different cultures and viewpoints,” Martin said. “It’s a great way for students to broaden their view of community.”

On Saturday night, Harvard’s South Asian Association presented “Kalpanam,” a cultural celebration featuring traditional Indian dance and music, which coincided with Diwali.

Dharma, Harvard’s Hindu Students Association, has also planned several events, including an informal prayer service yesterday at the new Prayer Space in Canday B Basement, which was inaugurated on October first. The prayer service included devotional hymns led by several different students. Aneesh V. Kulkarnin ’09, a member of Dharma, said he was really enjoying the new prayer space.

“The weekend it opened, a lot of people came to help set up and build the altar and bring in the deities. It’s going to be a really fun way to celebrate our heritage together,” he said.

Harvard’s biggest Diwali tradition is the annual bash hosted at Lowell House by House Master Diana L. Eck, when over 150 students come together to sing, celebrate, and share food and stories. This year it will be held on Nov. 5, and will actually fall on the day that King Rama was coronated. Dharma co-president Utpal Sandesara ’08 said that the event is open to everybody.

“We’d really love to have people who are interested in either the Hindu religion or the Hindu culture. Ultimately, it’s really about celebrating a sense of community.”