CRIMSON LIVE: Harvard at UCLA

A play-by-play rundown of how the Bruins ended the Crimson's season

By The Crimson Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

90:00: It's over. For the first time this season, the high-scoring Harvard offense is shut out, thanks to a solid effort by Reed and the UCLA defense. And just like that, the Crimson's successful season is over.

85:06: Altchek breaks free and fires a shot, but it's right at Reed's chest. It may be the last shot he ever takes.

82:24: Watching Harvard's season fade, coach John Kerr makes another substitution, replacing defender Marcel Perl with Jeffrey Chivers.

80:11: The top-ranked offense in the nation has been struggling to threaten Reed, forcing just one save in the second half.

73:25: UCLA 3, HARVARD 0. David Estrada breaks free from three Harvard players and sends a perfect cross to Myers in the right corner. Myers finds midfielder Kyle Nakazawa streaking in on goal, and Adam Hahn has no chance as Nakazawa nets the ball at the near post.

68:00: Midfielder Mike Fucito gets a through ball to Akpan, who seems to be free on goal. But at the last possible moment, a Bruins defender slides in and strips Akpan of the ball.

67:00: It's been back and forth in the second half, with neither team establishing itself on offense. UCLA is playing defensively, concentrating on slowing down Akpan and Altchek in the middle.

65:23: Harvard tries to mix things up, replacing Kwaku Nyamekye with Luke Sager.

63:12: Myers, who was subbed out at halftime, comes back in for Leopoldo. The freshman defender attended the same high school as Harvard wide receivers Corey Mazza and Matt Luft.

60:23: Zizzo sees his first real action of the second half, finding space and launching a shot. But he takes a second too long, allowing the Crimson to block the ball. After notching only two goals all season, the midfielder has been an offensive threat all night.

53:18: Harvard's Peter Glenmullen will have to be careful for the rest of the game, as the referee shows him the yellow card.

51:53: After the Bruins fire two shots at Hahn, Akpan challenges Reed on the other side, forcing a save.

HALFTIME STATS:
Shots: UCLA 5, Harvard 2
Corners: Harvard 3, UCLA 1
Fouls: Harvard 3, UCLA 3

45:00: Harvard is trailing 2-0 at the half. While Zizzo seems to be all over the field, the Crimson is just a half-step too slow. Could it be the jetlag?

39:30: UCLA 2, HARVARD 0. ZIZZO! The forward executes a perfect give-and-go for his second goal of the game. Taking a corner on the left side, he delivers a short pass to Zaher and sneaks in to the left post. Zaher returns the ball to Zizzo, who knocks the ball into the right-side netting as Hahn and the Harvard defense are left stunned.

38:14: It's Zizzo again. The midfielder dribbles his way through the Harvard midfield and defense, breaking in alone on goal along the right side. Hahn comes out to challenge Zizzo, who kicks the ball, clanging it off the far post.

33:54: UCLA forward Jason Leopoldo suffers an injury and has to leave the field. Chance Myers comes on in relief.

32:30: The Bruins curve a through ball to the streaking Zizzo, who is in alone on Hahn. But the keeper gets to the ball just in time.

30:35: UCLA defender Mike Zaher breaks down the left side and fires a cross to the far post. Zizzo heads the ball right on, but Hahn is in great position to make the save.

27:30: The game is being controlled in the midfield. UCLA is sending long balls, trying to take advantage of its strikers' speed - especially down the right side.

21:00: Harvard midfielder John Stamatis touches the ball to Matt Hoff, who sends a cross to Charles Altchek just outside the 18'. The Ivy League Player of the Year is covered, but he heads the ball back to Akpan. Akpan gets a shot off, but it's deflected away from danger.

3:30: Feeling the heat, the Crimson attack piles it on. Harvard earns two consecutive corners but fails to guide the ball past Bruins keeper Eric Reed.

1:55: UCLA 1, HARVARD 0. UCLA's Sal Zizzo wastes no time. The midfielder deftly corrals the ball, beats two defenders, and fires a shot past Harvard goalkeeper Adam Hahn and into the left-side netting.

PRE-GAME: It seems that everyone in Los Angeles is going to the basketball game between UCLA and BYU. But there are bigger things brewing on Marshall Field.

-Staff writer Aidan E. Tait was live on the scene in Westwood, Calif.
-Staff writer Karan Lodha contributed from Cambridge, Mass.

Men's Soccer